Probably the worst user manual in the world...

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Recieved my shiny new Reba RLs last week. What's the point of the user manual that comes with them? - useless

Is there oil in the fork already?

Is there air in the fork already?

How do you install the PopLock lever?

How do you set up the fork for your first ride?

Do you need to lubricate the stanchions before use?

I know some of these are basic questions but surely they should be answered in the manual that comes with them. Or at least online - the only manual I can find is a service manual.

:?
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• Instead of blaming the manual for your ineptness with modern forks why don't you just google these simple things.

And ofcourse there's oil in the fork, why would they expect you to service it before you've even put it on?

Doesn't matter how much air is in the fork as you need to set the right amount for your weight with a shock pump anyway.

Poplock lever i have no idea but i never use lockout anyway, id just leave the clutter off the bars.

Set up is same as all air forks, add air to give 25% ish sag, set rebound by trial and error, add more if it feels like a pogo stick, less if its not returning fast enough over repeated bumps.

And you can lube them before each ride if you like but i rarely do, just often enough to clean the seal. Use wet chain lube.
  • ha! I'm not sure about ineptness - just feel the info should be included especially when you spend the best part of £300.

Relying on Google for your information can get you in all sorts of trouble. Better to have the correct info direct info from the manufacturer.

Cheers for the tip re wet lube though - so 'fork lube' is not necessary?

Trek Session 8
  • Cheers for the tip re wet lube though - so 'fork lube' is not necessary?
    Nope
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, the fork comes with oil and is ready to ride, bar you setting the pressures up and adjusting damping.

See the FAQ.
  • yeah FAQs a lot more useful than the SRAM website!

Like I say pretty obvious/basic stuff but a bit more info with the new kit would be nice for 1st time buyers

Anyway - thanks for the tips chaps

Trek Session 8
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    I think the thinking is that if people really need those questions answered, they should probably be getting an LBS to set up the fork for them, or at least talk them through it...
  • SRAM manuals are largely shite IMHO, the info on motion control is little more than a vague description of its benefits.

Developing decent google fu is a must, you can normally find the info with a bit of searching as it has often been asked before.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    whyamihere wrote:
    I think the thinking is that if people really need those questions answered, they should probably be getting an LBS to set up the fork for them, or at least talk them through it...

I think the questions were largely rhetorical/tongue in cheek

Just got a set of revs and there is absolutely no instruction on setting them up! Pretty useless "user manual" that doesn't explain anything beyond fitting. Imagine a video manual that didn't explain how to record, set time etc
  • xixang wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

I think the questions were largely rhetorical/tongue in cheek

Just got a set of revs and there is absolutely no instruction on setting them up! Pretty useless "user manual" that doesn't explain anything beyond fitting. Imagine a video manual that didn't explain how to record, set time etc

Exactly! Things with knobs on should come with instructions on how to use said knobs

Although to be fair they have gone to the trouble of printing a completely useless air pressure/weight table on one of the legs :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    FWIW I'm in total agreement with you felix!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver