Losing air from Rockshox Reba

bryn7818
bryn7818 Posts: 9
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i have a 2008 Scott Spark 30 which i have owned from new. It is still running the OE forks which are dual air Rockshox Reba SL which over the last few weeks has felt very hard almost completely rigid when transiting over tree roots or even hard pack single track. I took the bike apart and gave the bike a full service and during this noticed that the negative pressure in the forks was not equal to the positive. I corrected this and on a ride out over Swinley today it was back to its usual plush fast ride. The drama is that half way around my normal loop it started to feel like the forks were rigid again and after checking the negative air pressure it was next to nothing and the grey seal on the top of the bottom tubes had popped out. Can anyone tell me what this is likely to be please? I have an idea but i would just like some advice before i try to strip and rebuild a set of forks for the first time.

Thanks
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Rockhopper Comp Disc 08
Scott Spark 30

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could be a leaky valve. But a drop of water in the valve head and look for bubbles. If leaky, tighten valve core with the correct tool.
  • bryn7818 wrote:
    i have a 2008 Scott Spark 30 which i have owned from new. It is still running the OE forks which are dual air Rockshox Reba SL which over the last few weeks has felt very hard almost completely rigid when transiting over tree roots or even hard pack single track. I took the bike apart and gave the bike a full service and during this noticed that the negative pressure in the forks was not equal to the positive. I corrected this and on a ride out over Swinley today it was back to its usual plush fast ride. The drama is that half way around my normal loop it started to feel like the forks were rigid again and after checking the negative air pressure it was next to nothing and the grey seal on the top of the bottom tubes had popped out. Can anyone tell me what this is likely to be please? I have an idea but i would just like some advice before i try to strip and rebuild a set of forks for the first time.

Thanks
    Solo air forks have equal pressure in both chambers. Dual air forks have advantage - you can pump different pressures in + and -. Negative chamber O ring is probably worn out, sometimes greasing helps or put some fork oil into negative chamber.