Women's Elite RR - Spoiler, probably, eventually.

124»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    hotoph88 wrote:
    As to the justified criticism that the women's World Champ RR was rubbish this year- you are entirely right. But then the identical criticism can be leveled at the men's road race. Nobody was going to say that the event of the final lap - Voeckler on his own trying to hold off GB and the peloton - was anything other than an exercise in futility. Indeed no team ever did the basic sums. To get anything other than a sprint, a group had to be up the road with enough horsepower to be able to hold off the combined team time trial capability of GB/GER. The closest we got to that was 2 Belgians, and a few other hangers on, some left over from the main "forlorn hope", trying to wear down GB/GER for the main Belgian attack (which never materialised) to follow ! (ok well there was about 17 seconds of Belgian counter!)

I think the main difference in the events was that in the men's race at least a group did try to go early and there were other attempts. Yes, they were forlorn efforts and possibly not fully committed but riders went for it. Only one rider did this in the women's race and the way the peloton jumped on Pooley every time she tried to stretch her legs did look like a local 3/4 race. I have nothing against women's racing and would like more coverage of events like the Giro Donna. However, the races are both much shorter and considerably slower. I realise that women will never be able to compete with men in speed but there is no reason why the reason why the races need to be so short.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    hotoph88 wrote:
    by human performance do you mean huMAN performance. ie only that by males - because they are faster.
    Well, the word under discussion is human, not huwoman. :wink:
    hotoph88 wrote:
    If the later were to be the case, then once again you are at the same point you started - female sport is to be consigned to the dustbin for ever because they are female - "faster" equals "more worthy". And to some of us - there is so much more to an event than just "faster".
    You do seem to be letting your emotional reaction to what I have said over-ride your reason to some degree. For example, your claim that what I have said 'consigns female sport to the dustbin for ever', which does sound a tad hysterical. What I have argued does nothing of the sort and as I have said multiple times I can enjoy almost any bike race, from a schoolboy criterium upwards.

I also agree that 'faster' is not everything. However, it does add an important dimension to sports like bike racing, as does seeing others do what you could only aspire to and seeing human performance pushed to its limits which, sorry, often does mean human performance, not 'huwoman' performance. :)

A case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fwSe9xT_k0