pinguS Posts: 38
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Ok so I have posted 2 seperate topics regarding hills locations and gearing

Hill Locations Berkshire
http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12802725

Shimano 105 Groupset with MTB or Triple for lighter gearing
http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12802577

Some good infomation given, but now I am wondering could it be the technique I'm using to climb hills. Currently or because I'm new to this, I basically havent done many, but was wondering, knowing every is different, which way does the majority get up, using drop handle bars.

Is it MTB style with holding the bars across, or holding the lever hoods, or holding the drop section by the brakes, or finally the end of the bars which come back towards the rider. Also is this while sitting, or going up a few gears then standing to get extra push.

I tried standing, in bottom gearing and it was not enough resistance, i.e. squashing paper cups or something, and basically ended up sitting, and not making the hill!!

I've discussed gearing in another post, see above for link.

Any advice, as lame as this sounds can help, I hope....

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Cycling Plus this month has an article titled Conquer That Hill - 10 Steps to Faster Climbing
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Climb more, trying each of them. What works for some won't work for all. Look at some of the pros, for example.

Pantani: Smallish gear, out of the saddle, in the drops. Very very fast.
    Ullrich: Larger gear, almost always seated, often on the flat of the bar. Also very very fast.

Personally, I do most climbs on the hoods, seated, in a medium gear. On long, steep climbs, I move my hands to the flats of the bar, as I find it easier for the low cadence seated grinding. On short steep climbs, I'll often get down on the drops and out of the saddle, in order to put out the maximum amount of power.

Basically, find out what works for you. It's all about experience.
  • I usually ride hills on the hoods in a low gear at a high cadence. On steeper bits I'll get out of the saddle but only for short distances.

For longer hills I find it best to get into a steady rhythm and try to balance my breathing and the load on my legs. I try not to think about how fast I'm gong because the slow speeds will invariably cause me to speed up which is bad. For me my breathing usually gives out before my legs so as long as I have that sorted its usually ok.
  • I usually ride hills on the hoods in a low gear at a high cadence. On steeper bits I'll get out of the saddle but only for short distances.

For longer hills I find it best to get into a steady rhythm and try to balance my breathing and the load on my legs. I try not to think about how fast I'm gong because the slow speeds will invariably cause me to speed up which is bad. For me my breathing usually gives out before my legs so as long as I have that sorted its usually ok.

+1 for me a similar approach to climbing hills. Ultimately its about training - keep riding up the hills and you should find you will develop a style that works for you. The longer climbs never seem to get any easier though but you will find that you ride them quicker! The shorter climbs you will eventually notice that you breeze up and over them without really thinking about it. :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Is there a good collection of videos online illustrating these techniques? Thanks.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    Is there a good collection of videos online illustrating these techniques? Thanks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRFNKhNh ... re=related I've watched this one a number of times. Aimed at mountains but has some useful information that can be applied to UK climbs as well.
  • I once knew this bloke who went and did the most ridiculous climb in the lake district. You'd have thought he'd have enjoyed the descent after all that work - but no, he got the bus back down to the bottom. Mental.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Usually on the hoods, sat more towards the front of the saddle works best for me.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRFNKhNh ... re=related I've watched this one a number of times. Aimed at mountains but has some useful information that can be applied to UK climbs as well.

Thanks
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • On the hoods or flats at a fairly high cadence if seated.

If I then stand up, i normally change to a higher gear but stay on the hoods.

Of course, it all depends on the hill and how I feel at the time, as some days I can stay seated up a climb, and others I feel the need to stand up.

As others have said, 'best' way is what feels best for you. The only way you will kno that is to try the methods and see which you prefer.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you watch the chaps in the TdF, there doesn't seem to be one way that suits everyone. You get some dancing on the pedals, others sit back spinning a high cadence, others push a big gear anyway they can. The best advice is loads of practice and you will figure out what works for you (and the practice will build up strength and stamina to help).

I must admit, I often change my style based on the hill. Did Crowcombe Coombe in Exmoor the other week and at 20-25% I spent the whole time standing (nice and slow, keeping my breath measured). I did a loop with the Bwlch and the Rhigos today (in South Wales) and spent most of those long 5-10% climbs sat back in a low-ish gear with a high cadence. The one constant was patience and knowing where my own redline is, as in the max of what I can sustain and for how long.
  • Just give it some more beans

And under NO circumstances are you ever allowed to go onto the drops when climbing dxcept if your first name is Marco and surname is Pantani.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Paul057
    Paul057 Posts: 167
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Thanks

Good video, thanks
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Just go and do hill repeats and find what works for you. You need to get into a steady rhythm you can maintain and stick with it, pretty soon you'll manage in in a higher gear.

We have a ten mile time trail from Aviemore to the top car park on Cairngorm in May. I did a few goes at training for it including a session of hill repeats on the steepest bit (about 15%). Made me a stronger cyclist for the remainder of the year, painfully hard work but well worth it.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Just go and do hill repeats and find what works for you. You need to get into a steady rhythm you can maintain and stick with it, pretty soon you'll manage in in a higher gear.

We have a ten mile time trail from Aviemore to the top car park on Cairngorm in May. I did a few goes at training for it including a session of hill repeats on the steepest bit (about 15%). Made me a stronger cyclist for the remainder of the year, painfully hard work but well worth it.
    How long would you recommend for hill repeats? There is a short hill nearby( ironically I have 3 or 4 climbs to get there) but reasonably steep it's part of the "Bathgate alps", it's only a few minute climb but it stings my lungs every time, would this be of use or a longer climb be better?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    How long would you recommend for hill repeats? There is a short hill nearby( ironically I have 3 or 4 climbs to get there) but reasonably steep it's part of the "Bathgate alps", it's only a few minute climb but it stings my lungs every time, would this be of use or a longer climb be better?

Just work with what's available. Do it until you feel half dead, it'll be easier next time. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger :twisted:
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Do it until you feel half dead

Well that won't take me long then :oops:
  • I will be doing my first ever hill session tomorrow. Not really an essential, as I always think base fitness and endurance should be the priority before specific drills/intervals are done for example.

However, more just an experiment to see how I get on, and how quickly I feel as though I will die lol
  • There really is allot of technique, I'd say 50:50 with fitness. On one of my favourite hills around here (1km climb, 10% but it varies all over the place, which is why I like it). My gps program would pause if I dipped under 5mph, yesterday I managed 7.8mph on the spot where it normally paused! 8)

Plus, there's another one shortly after, (just shot and sharp, any steeper and I'd fall off the back of the bike!) and I didn't drop under 5mph there :)

So yes, practise (lots of hills) really does make perfect.
  • Good advice here, so no need to repeat any of it. My own personal tip would be to knock out between 20 and 40 push ups every day, a lot of energy is saved in out of the saddle efforts when you have enough upper body strenght to support your body weight comfortably (emphasis here is on the "comfortably" part :) )
  • Cheers guys, good tips. Will hack some hills soon, just went for a ride yesterday and done something to the left knee. Not pain from too low a seat (bike has been fitted), but more like it needs clicking out or something. anyway cheers for the info..
  • the_Spooks wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

where are the Bathgate alps....I'm in Edinburgh and get bored with Arthur's Seat sometimes....The roads south of Edinburgh with the big hills tend to quite busy/fast.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Try this link for the Bathgate Alps - not a member myself but useful info....

http://www.westlothianclarion.co.uk/routes.html
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Don't know if it's generally advised, but a technique that seems to work for me on long steep hills is to mostly spin in bottom gear until it gets too much, then change up a couple of gears and get out of the saddle for a while, then go back to spinning (and so on).

Haven't found a hill that's beaten me yet!
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    that's a weird technique, will. but whatever works, works.

some out of the saddle and some sat down stuff tends to help on a longer climb, and sometimes is a necessity.
  • saunderela wrote:
    Try this link for the Bathgate Alps - not a member myself but useful info....

http://www.westlothianclarion.co.uk/routes.html

thanks for that...

In terms of my technique....I sit and climb as I find that standing up takes a lot more out of me...I don't necessarily go high cadence either...usually about 39 front / 17 or so(middle at the back) about 70 rpm....I always make sure there are spare cogs incase it gets a bit much!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!