Spring Classics Sportive

Im in the early stages of planning a trip to ride one of the cobbles classic sportives and watch as much of the racing as possible.

What I want to know is whether it is worth doing the whole thing through a company like sports international.

http://www.sportstoursinternational.co. ... f-flanders

Or would it be easier/cheaper just to do it myself.

Any ideas?

Comments

• blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Hi Benjamin

There are many people on the forum who've done it themselves, but I went with Sports Tours/Baxters to the Tour of Flanders last year (2010) and the whole thing ran very smoothly*. I'm not sure what the set-up for next year's Flanders will be given the route re-design, but for what its worth I intend to go with them again in 2013.

The hotel in Ghent did the job (and Ghent itself is lovely); travel to and from the event in Ninove (there's not much accommodation in Ninove so you'd have to find your way there one way or another); I didn't see them en route but i believe they offer a degree of support on the course.

Then the day of the pro race they had it all planned out and we got to see the start in Brugge and the first feed station, then again at the crossover where the Knokteberg meets Oude Kwaremont; then finally on the Muur in Geraardsbergen. They showed DVDs on the bus and there was a good atmosphere. They ran a single coach, picking up at a few Motorway service stations and then Victoria in London on the Friday morning, return Monday afternoon. I was also able to hire a bike bag for the duration.

In summary, it might be cheaper to do it yourself, but paying someone else took all the hassle out of it for me (well, except getting from Edinburgh to London in the first place).

*(the bits of it they could control: there was a ferry strike on the way out, and a road closure due to a stabbing in London on the way back!)
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • It has to be the tour of flanders if your going to do a cyclosportive.

I have done it twice now and I have had a great weekend riding and watching the pro's.
    Mind you beware the route I believe it's changing this year so it will be new for everybody.

Not sure it it is going to be harder or easier. The Paterberg will be the place to watch it in 2012
    I think if you go with a group it shouldn't be too big a group, if you plan early you can get a good hotel and see the race in 2 or even 3 place.

Personally I would plan your own trip with some friends (up to 10 people) or go with an organisation like SRS Events who also run a small trip to the event each year.
    But that's just personal choice.