Best budget 9spd cassette/chain combo?

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited September 2011 in The workshop
Been looking around; I can get a Shimano HG50 (Tiagra) cassette for about £20, and a HG73 (105) chain for about £11. Can this be bettered for under £35?

This will be my main commuting and winter training setup - circa 600 miles a month from October - March. I need 12-25. Doesn't have to be anything fancy or weightweenieish, just durable enough to last the winter well.
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• I think your right on the money with the hg50 cassette as they work well, aren't to heavy and last.
    As for chains I would go for a KMC one as the are tougher than the shimano efforts and also come with a quick link meaning you can remove the chain for cleaning.
    Also for the same reasons the BBB chains are good and at around £15 not bad value
  • Mr Plum
    Cheers for the input. I was looking at the KMC X9-73 actually - new on ebay at around £11 with quicklink. Better to go for that rather than the CH-HG73?

What do you reckon to the BBB cassettes? Seen a few of those around at decent prices.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • The bbb cassettes would be better if they made them out of chocolate !
    I used to work in a shop that sold BBB and had a few problems with the cassettes, heavy, worn very quickly and didn't shift well.
    As for the kmc chain I find that they shift as well as the shimanos but do just last longer and when it comes to fitting they are fool proof because of the quick link
  • Mr Plum
    I'll stay clear of the BBB cassettes then. Think I'll go for the HG50 cassette and the KMC chain. £29 all in. Sorted :D
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Tiagra is a competent groupset and relatively inexpensive.

KMC X9 chains are very solid.