Bike sizing guides?

Bling Bling
Bling Bling Posts: 67
edited October 2011 in Women
Just wondering how much attention should be given to sizing guides when buying a new bike.

I've got one on order at the moment in a size medium, but now I'm worrying it will be too big as I've since discovered the sizing chart for this series of bike, and by its reckoning I should be a small.

Small: 5'3 - 5'7
Medium: 5'6 - 6'10
Me: 5'5

I'm not under obligation to purchase the bike that I've ordered, so if when I try it out in store it isn't right, then there's no real need to worry - but the small has just been discontinued so there's not much chance of getting it if that's the size I need. I don't want to go back to the drawing board and look at bikes all over again.

So - thoughts? Should I be concerned? Even with adjusting the bike, is it likely to be a good fit for me?

Comments

• stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    At 5'5" you will probably be on the cusp for most bikes - I guess it depends on how long your legs are compared to your body.
    I am 5'4" and am definitely in the small bike category.
    My daughter is 5'6 and is sometimes medium sometimes small - the only way of knowing for sure is to try it.
    What sort of bike is it?
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The charts are very, very rough guidelines. One makers 18 can be a lot bigger than anothers, for example.

See the What Size thread in the Buying forum.
  • Thank you for your advice. I've been a dunce, and I think online browsing for bikes has got me hung up on numbers and overwhelmed by women specific marketing.

Went out to my LBS yesterday to talk over my condundrum and was advised to open my view to mens bikes as well as womens. He gave advice on the difference/merits of geometry and/versus correct sizing. I tried out a couple, had seats adjusted and then ordered a completely different bike from the one I thought I wanted, but meets my needs and will be the right fit.

Originally looked at the Scott Contessa 20 but now decided on the Cube Attention, I'm getting a lot more bike for my money - Phew! :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like a good shop, and a person who knows the ins and outs of bike fitting.