Socks

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Last winter I used a pair of old skiing socks for most of the winter. However this has posed several problems. 1st I only had 1 pair which meant that despite my feet not sweating in the cold, it wasn't pleasant. 2nd, all other pairs of socks seemed cold in comparison. 3rd I've now trashed said socks through overuse. 4th, I'm secretly grateful as they came up almost to the knee, making me (in bib tights) look like I had some weird school girl uniform fetish going on.

Given this I need some new ones. Preferably woolen, thick, warm, black and not costing £10 a pair like all "cycling specific" ones seem to be. Can anyone recommend something suitable?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• Aldi next week?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Buy cheap buy twice. Woolie Boolies are £10 a pair but they're merino so don't smell and are tough as old boots. I'm sure you can buy several cheap pairs of socks but they won't keep your feet as warm, they will smell and they'll wear out quicker.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • whitestar1 wrote:
    Aldi next week?
    They've lasted from last year until now so not bad quality, not really warm though. Last year I used some I picked up at a petrol station. Heat Killers or similar. Did the job ~£4, didn't last though one got holed.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm supporting te buy cheap, buy twice. No point, buy something decent.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Normal socks + decent shoe covers. I had these and was fine.

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/1 ... overs.html

Shoecovers tend to cut up and mine tend to wear out come spring but at least you don't need to worry about new socks. I also bought Sealskinz but they don't wear well (or I washed them wrong) but I'm not keen as they are expensive and your feet may be stay dry but your shoes still get fecked up.

Neoprene covers are the best. If they are lined all the better. Avoid 'windproof' fabric ones as they are rubbish.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aldi socks have been great for me. My assos socks got a hole in them pretty quickly so I'd not waste my money again.

Merino is good - I've a few pairs for the winter - lewiskit used to be good.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I've bought some Rapha City socks, thicker blend of merino. I'm intending to wear these over a normal pair of socks. Oh and cut my toenails more regularly.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Buy cheap buy twice. Woolie Boolies are £10 a pair but they're merino so don't smell and are tough as old boots. I'm sure you can buy several cheap pairs of socks but they won't keep your feet as warm, they will smell and they'll wear out quicker.
    Will give a pair of these a go. Thanks all for the other recommendations too!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I have gotten the Aldi socks and they are good enough for me. Plus cheap at less than a fiver. They look good too,
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Woolie Boolies are £10 a pair but they're merino so don't smell and are tough as old boots.

These are well worth the money IMO. Very comfortable, very warm, good fit and hard wearing. Every frosty morning that I go out wearing these I feel very pleased with myself :P
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Smartwool Light Hiker are fantastic. Have been wearing them for 12 years (not the same pair, though). Also around the £10-£11 mark online, cheaper in the states, but still well worth paying the extra for.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    2nd woolie boolies. VERY comfy, don't smell, and not cold yet. Mine didn't come with Haribo though (2 pairs) so BE WARNED.