Bike transport

desweller
desweller Posts: 5,175
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hello you intrepid bunch

I'm investigating doing a few weeks' riding in SE Asia next year (partly to get a break from England in the winter months), and I think I've got a handle on most things, except:- How do you deal with bike transport? Surely if you use a bike box, you've got to find a hostel or whatever to hold the box while you do your tour, which restricts you to a generally circular loop? Or do you plan your return trip to base via public transport from wherever you end up?

Any thoughts and alternatives greatly appreciated!

Des
- - - - - - - - - -
On Strava.{/url}

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    A lot of people use cardboard boxes and rely on being able to scrounge one at the end.

You could send the box or bag to a hotel at your final destination.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    bike shops often have plenty of boxes to scrounge - but if not the chinese style woven plastic bags are common everywhere and if your lucky you get one big one - or if not few smaller ones and just break the bike up a bit. Some airports and/or airlines (eg KLM) have them for sale. Usually I just strip the bike at the end, wrap the precious parts in clothes or piping and then wrap it to death in biggest bin bags I can find with layers of spare clothes if no boxes available ..