Respray car wing - how much?

Dalton
Dalton Posts: 265
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi,

As per title really. Have bought a new (used) car, which is spot on apart from previous elderly owner has attempted to respray around the front wheel arch (badly). This lets the rest of the car down.

Would like to get it sorted.

Any idea of cost?

Additionally, as a long shot - can anyone recommend a decent body shop in the West Sussex (Bognor Regis) area?

:D

Comments

• Depends. If they have to spray the door it'll be more as they have to match the door up so at a rough guess between 150 and 180.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • can't recommend but can tell you never to go to Apollo in Chichester
  • Also depends on colour - silver is a bitch as is white, and metallic black. It can mean that the edge of the bonnet, door etc also need blending in.

Around £150 sounds about right (assuming just rub down and spray, no other filling etc) Your best bet though would be to ask a bodyshop (and not the womans soap and smelly shop) :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    No will be far more.
    my wifes audi TT is having dented wing repaired.
    Bodyshop quoted £400 to fill the dent and respray, or £700 to fit a new wing and respray.

I got local dent magic to push the dent out so is having just the affected area resparyed and blended in to rest of wing. £300

before dent removal
    P1030084.jpg

after

DSC00318.jpg

Only a woodlouise sized scuff but silver isnt a colour- it is clear lacquer filled with metallic particles, which is why it's such a pig to match
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    It depends whether the wing is ok beneath her bodge job, and it also depends on where on the wing the respray is. It also depends on what the car is. If you've got a Veyron, it'll cost you a few bob, but if it's a 20yr old Austin Metro, it'll be cheap as chips.

I had a new wing put on my passat a couple of months ago. The bill was about £400, but obviously, that included the wing as well. As 'Slow Downcp' mentioned, some colours are a b*tch to match, even with the manufacturers official colours. So, they not only need to spray the wing, but blend in the door and possibly the bonnet too (depending on panel gap). I was somewhat gutted when I was told that the paint for my Passat was £500 per Litre !!!! I guess that they didn't use much on my wing !!!!

I'd find a decent independent, who specialized in the manufacturer of your car, and ask them to recommend an independent body shop.

Don't use Solus though !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • carrock wrote:
    No will be far more.
    Bodyshop quoted £400 to fill the dent and respray, or £700 to fit a new wing and respray.

I got local dent magic to push the dent out so is having just the affected area resparyed and blended in to rest of wing. £300

Seems expensive! I run a fleet of 60 cars as part of my job so regularly have to arrange small repairs etc - never paid more the £200 for a wing unless it needed a new one
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Another option that has been suggested to me is to purchase a new wing, such as...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330533191666? ... 093wt_1040

Would this be a better option than going to a body shop for wing respray?
  • The disadvantage of a replacement pre painted wing is that it can't be blended in - it depends how the paintwork on the rest of the car has aged. Also, not all wings easily bolt on.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    carrock wrote:
    No will be far more.

Seems expensive! I run a fleet of 60 cars as part of my job so regularly have to arrange small repairs etc - never paid more the £200 for a wing unless it needed a new one
    Yes, but the important terms here are "60 cars" and "regularly".
    For someone who has one car and doesn't give the body shop regular business, the costs will be higher.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved