Shimano SLX shifter lever failing to return after shifting

JonnyNoStars
JonnyNoStars Posts: 36
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got my lovely new Merlin Malt 3, and I'm a bit puzzled by the shifters!

They're the SLX ones, SL-M660-10 if that means anything to anyone.

The problem is that, when shifting into a larger gear (ie "up" on the front mech, "down" on the rear), the lever doesn't spring back into position after shifting - instead, I have to manually return it to position so that I can make another downshift.

I just can't see this being correct - would be a right ballache on those occasions where you go from downhill to uphill in a short distance and have to drop down umpteen ratios on the rear mech to compensate!

The lever feels as though it's slightly stiff on the return, but that it IS sprung; it only needs a tiny assisting force to return it. Is this just down to the shifters being new and needing some use before they fully free up? Or is there something to adjust? Not keen on the idea of taking a screwdriver to my brand-new machine in case I balls it up completely! Does strike me as strange that both shifters behave this way, though.
<center>I\'m not schizophrenic, and neither am I.

*INSERT SOMETHING WITTY HERE*</center>

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They should spring back, and shouldn't need to free up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • That's what I thought - the LX's on my old bike never did this even when box-fresh.

After perusing the Shimano website for an exploded diagram, and convincing myself that it wouldn't make the whole thing fall to bits, I popped the bottom cover off one of the shifters and found... well, nothing, actually. Some shiny and intricate-looking bits of metal, a little bit of white grease and that's about it.

But, clutching at straws, I decided to try slackening the bolt that clamps the shifter to the handlebar, just in case it was too tight and distorting the casing and/or mechanism. It didn't feel overly tight, mind, and I nipped it back up to what feels like a similar tightness, but miraculously the shifter suddenly began to behave itself! A few runs up and down the cassette... yep, springing back a treat.

Just to prove it wasn't a fluke, I pushed the other shifter into the "stuck" position, then slowly loosened the fixing bolt... and *click* - back it popped, like a good 'un. Nipped it back up, tried it a few times up and down, no more sticking.

I'm either some sort of bicycle engineering mastermind, or have just developed some sort of Jedi-esque telekinesis ability. Or perhaps I'm merely a clot with an Allen key... hmmm...

:D

• cooldad
    I'd go with clot. Or cool it with the steroids.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I'd go with clot. Or cool it with the steroids.

:lol:

(Perhaps I ought to clarify that it wasn't me who built the bike in the first place... :wink: )

• cooldad
    Then I unreservedly withdraw my unkind and uncalled for remark.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools