a bike for all seasons/terrains

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
So its coming up to that winter time when I will prolly put Harry and Misty away till spring, but have also adopted the n+1 attitude.

So I really want to do some long distance rugged cycling..harry is too urbane and misty is prissy. So can anyone reccomend a winter bike that will also be good for touring on road and on the hills.
I had my eye on the Marin Sausalito a while back..with fatter tyres I think it could be a good option but what say you??

:)

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Ribble winter trainer

Planet X Uncle John

Planet X Pro Carbon (now available in flat bar! no rack mounts though...)
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2011/09/21/pro-carbon-range-from-899

Genesis Croix de Fer

ummmm. Anyone else?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • d0b2_dark_side_apron.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

K_B you've certainly managed to brighten up my afternoon :D
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Genosis Vapour Disc 2012

CX bike with disc breaks and lot of clearance plus mounts
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Torvid wrote:
    Genosis Vapour Disc 2012

the new tricross has discs

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle

ive put the full link just to annoy KB
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Surly Karate Monkey with drop bars.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I just saw a 2011 Canondale CX bike in an Evans flyer reduced from £899 to £699. Tiagra equipped, but with cantis. That looked quite cheap.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited September 2011
    +1 for the Croix de Fer

On-One Pompetamine ?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Charge Filter Hi, Mmmm blue with a shiney bit.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Torvid wrote:
    Genosis Vapour Disc 2012

the new tricross has discs

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle

Looking at the spec though, they've skimped on the brakes and gone for BB5's rather than BB7's
  • £900 for Sora, BB5 and alloy forks? jeepers :shock:
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    How about a Cotic X. Just built myself one up, rides beautifully.

Have just ridden to the New Forest, got a bit muddy (and a puncture) and ridden home again. Perfect bike for me I reckon. Here's a pic just after I'd finished the build, before I'd adjusted the saddle height etc.

newBike.jpg
  • Just stubbled across the photo gallery of the guy that I bought my bike for all seasons / terrains from. So may I present my Thorn Sterling.

With rigid forks and marathon XC tyres it is a pretty formidable commuting machine. Swap fork and tyres and it can go places where regular mountain bikes get stuck. A 14 speed rolhoff speedhub gives a range of gears for any terrain yet remains near maintenance free. It can't get up to the same top speed as my drop bar road bikes, but A to B is only about 15% slower. I have taken it on 60+ miles per day trips with luggage on mixed surface and if has been faultless.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • d0b2_dark_side_apron.jpg

yes do it, Given my CX to my eldest 250 miles away, he's having a ball loving the fast jeep. I'm missing the beastie.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    +1 for the CX. Forget the 'stronger' claim that some of the denizens are hung up on - it just lets you run fatter tyres with no significant weight penalty. And you can hammer it anywhere.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    wombar wrote:

Have just ridden to the New Forest, got a bit muddy (and a puncture) and ridden home again. Perfect bike for me I reckon. Here's a pic just after I'd finished the build, before I'd adjusted the saddle height etc.

newBike.jpg

Very nice bike but bleeding hell you must have long arms, how do you reach those shifters?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    another +1 for the CX cough cough and the original CX commuter 8)

Loving my Dolan multicross 5116963457_83365b783d.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    another +1 for the CX cough cough and the original CX commuter 8)

Loving my Dolan multicross 5116963457_83365b783d.jpg

Possibly, possibly... but *I* made it cool 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • SimonAH wrote:
    +1 for the CX. Forget the 'stronger' claim that some of the denizens are hung up on - it just lets you run fatter tyres with no significant weight penalty. And you can hammer it anywhere.

being serious - the above is why a CX is ideal. The flexibility of tyre choice - you can fit some whopping fat tyres on the bike if you'd like, or get some skinny 25c slick road jobbies - it's all good... you can fit 'guards, racks, bottle cages if you like - all on the same bike and freely interchange if you wish
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • wombar
    itboffin wrote:
    Very nice bike but bleeding hell you must have long arms, how do you reach those shifters?

Haha, it's actually not as bad as it looks. It's quite a compact frame, I have longish arms, and I wanted a more stretched out position. Plus the bars are at a slight angle in that picture which makes it look worse. I've done a nice ride on it today and I found it really comfy :) I always felt a little squashed on my "proper" road bike so it's a nice change.

CX is definitely the way forward for me. Like Kieran_Burns said, it just gives you so many more options. I can go down to 25c tyres, and up to 42c. That gives me the option of running studded tyres for the winter, then swapping out for some nice slicks in the summer.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    ooohh this is making me feel hot..i think i need a cx now..
    As a woman, should i be looking for a particular type of frame? I would like it to take mudguards, a rear and possibly front rack.
    it needs to be light and fast, but sturdy enough for long distance.
    I dont have masses of money to spend, and am considering a second hand bike too..so if anyone wants to sell then let me know :wink:
  • Pretty much describes a CX - they have more clearance than road bikes - I ran mine with 28 Marathons and mudguards plus rear rack - a lot have carbon front forks now so you might have problems fitting a front rack
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    wombar wrote:

What brakes have you got on it? Any front fork judder?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • wombar
    davis wrote:
    wombar wrote:

What brakes have you got on it? Any front fork judder?

Avid BB7 Roads (you need the road specific version to get the right pull). It's got a Carbon fork, but I've not noticed any fork judder. Have only managed to get out for a couple decent rides, but nothing yet ;)
  • Been hankering after a crosser for ages and after battering the Bianchi last winter saved up for one as I've always been impressed by their versatility.
    Was going to get the Boardman but was put off by others on the forum being less than impressed with BB fitting etc, so went for the Pinnacle from Evans.
    Only had it about two weeks but first impressions are good. Even with the standard tyres I maybe lose only a couple of minutes on the commute. 105 kit is ace and the 32 tyres make a load of difference on the rough, mainly rural roads. I have the chance to take in everything from road to track to footpath/disused railway on the commute and it's really opened my horizons. Before I used to think "No, better not" on the skinny wheels. No I think "Yeah, why not?".
    Mudguards arrived for the winter commute to keep feet and ar*e dry.
    Absolutely lovin' it - if you get a crosser you will not regret it.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,122
    Nobody has mentioned a mountain bike yet, which is usually a good fit for the 'all seasons and terrains' requirement :) . I guess it's a question of how tough the terrain is going to be, but there are some good hard tail MTB's that could fit the bill.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Nobody has mentioned a mountain bike yet, which is usually a good fit for the 'all seasons and terrains' requirement :) . I guess it's a question of how tough the terrain is going to be, but there are some good hard tail MTB's that could fit the bill.

Burn him!!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,122
    Someone had to say it - just to give a balanced view of course :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • itboffin
    I was think of converting my ribble winter into a FGSS style CX would be perfect for the shorter winter commutes and it would mean I'd need a new commuter ;-)

Carbon perhaps?