Which rear mech for my old 2005 FSR Stumpy?

compact101
compact101 Posts: 3
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a Specialized FSR Stumpy, 2005 3years ago second hand for £550
The front forks work, though are broke.

I'm nursing it through till next year when I get a new bike, however the rear mech has stopped working, maybe the spring, as it won't change and very slow to spring back from side to side when you push it.

So, I can try to fix or buy a replacement to get me through another year.

(obviously XTR would be great but probably not worth it on a bike of that price and age etc.)
What do you suggest?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Any long cage Shimano, presuming you have Shimano at the moment.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi Compact101

First (unless you have already done so) is to check the cables and levers are working smopth and not rusty, clogged.

I have just replaced cables in both front and rear gears, my stumpy is like new again. really crisp shifting for each gear. It didn't take long either and you get to know your ride thatr little bit more..... all good for the next mechanical out on the trail - I replaced them with the free cables from some mag that i kept aside. nothing special, and cleaned out the out cables with WD40 or similar...

good luck
    You know your a Cyclist when a surgeon tells you you need a heart valve replacement and you ask if you have a choice between Presta and Schrader.
  • Cheers for the replies

Yep I replaced the cables and the levers are working.
    i can change up and down and nothing happens, a quick little bunny hop normally helps it move on.

I flipped mine and friends bikes over, both set to the same gear.

A simple test of depressing the derailer as if it were changing gears, his popped back, mine was very slow.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    How long is it going like this? I would take off the mech, give it a good clean, and then spray it with brake cleaner/alcohol/degreaser/WD-40 to clear the muck that might entered the pivots and creating friction.

Then, lube the pivots with chain oil, and wipe off to prevent acumulation of dirt.

Anyway, if you choose to replace it, presuming you have Shimano mech, I wouldn't go above Deroe/SLX level, or SRAM equivalent, X5.

Cheers,
    Darko
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010