Cheap winter glove for the daily commute

George_Lewis
George_Lewis Posts: 4
edited December 2013 in Commuting general
Looking for a pair of winter gloves for the daily commute to work, not been in to cycling all that long so don't know what to look out for.

Not looking for something too expensive but wanted something that would do the job of keeping my hands from turning to ice cubes! waterproof vs wind-proof?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Aldi - next Thursday 29 September. Check trheir website for 'Special Buys' section

My two pairs have seen me through the last 3 winters and will probbaly do the same again. £4.99
  • Cold fingers are my achilles heel. I always wear gloves invariably full finger & ride throughout the year (last years temp range was +32 to -14)
    -windproof should be the first consideration as windchill is a daily fact of life, rain isn't - I live on the edge of the Pennines and ride into Mnachester and out into the peak district. I get properly rained on a handful of times a year.

-properly waterproof; as with any clothing; means rain can't get in but also sweat can't get out too easily (even if it does claim to be breathable) - you don't want your hands to be 'boiled in the bag' and clammy, its just as uncomfortable as rained on soggy

-a long wrist cover will avoid exposed flesh if your jacket sleeve rides up.

-don't be suckered into paying megabucks for cycling branded stuff, there are alternative winter sports/work gloves that can do just as good (and better) a job.

-use layers of thin gloves or get a pair with a removable liner - easier to wash the layer next to the skin that absorbs your sweat and will get manky and smelly.

- bright coloured gloves are a good indicator when you're turning.

-It depends on how far and cold you'll be riding in. A 20 mile ride into Inverness will need full proofing more often than a couple of mile hop at each end of a train ride in the south east

I agree the Aldi gloves are superb value and I have a pair - but I find they're only good to around zero not much below. depends how cold you'll be riding in.

sealskinz are IMO overpiced and they underperform (especially in the boil in the bag stakes- I always had clammy hands after a dry ride cos they didn't wick, and the absolute waterproofness didn't last more than 18 months).

I can't remember the last pair of branded/quality' cycling specific gloves I bought - they're way overpriced compared to a pair of ski or snowboard gloves that give equal wind,wet and cold protection and are often kitten soft inside vs harsher material bike gloves (ski etc gloves are expectet to be worn all day so need to be airy, light and comfy - cycle gloves are expected to be used less intensively)

My winter gloves throughout last year were £15 ski gloves from TK-maxx. So far this year I've been wearing a pair of £3 bright yellow rigger gloves designed for builders working on cold scaffolding etc. close fitting, stretchy and comfortable, full rubber palm and fingers over the tips - absolutely windproof and grippy, thick dernier wool/nylon blend back, so breathable, good rain resistence and as they've got wool in them, the latent heat of wetting keeps your hands warm even when it is properly wet - They're doing me ok now at 5am and 11pm when I can see my breath but I doubt they'll be quite good enough once it gets to below zero, thats when the ski ones will be used again.
  • Thanks for the replies! Its definately given me a bit to think about anyway.

The cons of the waterproof gloves are certainly something to be taken into consideration. Come to think of it i'm rarely using the bike in weather that's bad enough to need them, so the breathability of them would be more of a hindrance than the proofing being an advantage.

I had a trawl through ebay when i got home and ive seen a few pairs around the 10-15 pound mark that seem to be worth purchasing, for the price its definately worth a try. Id go for the aldi ones but i cant wait until the 29th... i need them asap!

Here are a couple of the gloves i've seen so far.

http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/cold-wea ... z-yellow-l

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optimum-Full- ... 592wt_1396

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUSH-Winter-W ... 879wt_1163

:)
  • I've gone through so many gloves I've lost count, I'm always warm but my finger's and toes suffer the most for some reason. The best thing I've found in 5 years of commuting is lobster gloves, luckily picked mine up from a LBS last year and there still new, Madison ones, I would even pay full price there that good.

Just my two cents :D
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RON-THOMPSON- ... 8e07bf48f9

waterproof/windproof. ok last winter down to -8'C, their neoprene socks are also the mutts for those who get cold toes (like me)
  • gareth1234 wrote:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RON-THOMPSON-NEOPRENE-FEELPOWER-GLOVES-MED-LARGE-/310284185044?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&var=&hash=item8e07bf48f9

waterproof/windproof. ok last winter down to -8'C, their neoprene socks are also the mutts for those who get cold toes (like me)

Might just give them socks a whirl, thanks for the heads up!
  • I will be checking out the Aldi gloves.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Depends a bit on your bike but non-cycle specific gloves often have seams in poor places for pressure on your palms - more of an issue on more aggressive bike geometries.

I tried neoprene gloves and hated them - my hands sweated horribly. It doesn't rain often enough to worry about waterproof gloves - besides, like all waterproof stuff, as described above, boil-in-the-bag is always an issue. Windproof is my recommendation for most cycling kit.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Decided to go for the Optimum ones in the end (2nd link down)... they were the only ones i found in my price range that were just windproof as oppose to water/windproof.

Hopefully they should arrive on Tuesday so i will let you all know how i get on with them!

Thanks again for all your help!
  • Depends a bit on your bike but non-cycle specific gloves often have seams in poor places for pressure on your palms - more of an issue on more aggressive bike geometries.

agree on the geometries, I am quite sit up and beg so don't always rest full weight on my palms, but was completely comfortable doing all day pootling on tmy CX.

My scaffolder and ski ones are seam free on the palms and with decent grippy material. The scaffolder ones particularly are buff like in their lack of seams. found a thermal fleece pair today on Bury Market - lovely. 2 pairs for a fiver
  • I am not convinced the Aldi winter gloves are all that great. I could feel the cold in the pair I got just this month (October 2011) fair to say it was 2 degrees this morning. For under fiver I guess you cant complain.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    [I bought these Reusch ski gloves from TK Maxx. I've not found any cycle specific gloves that come close to not giving me frostbite so hopefully these enormous things (seen next to Sealskins winter gloves for scale which I wore today and my hands were nowhere near overheating despite it not even being freezing) will work. I had some snowboarding gloves last year (until they split) which whilst not toasty, at least stopped me getting very cold. Hopefully these will do the same and they are big enough to take glove liners if not. There are some seams in the leather palm area but the gloves are so thick I doubt I'll feel them!

P1100122.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • El Selb
    El Selb Posts: 137
    i just bought the second ones down as well - the optimum ones - basically cos I'm short on time and you look as though you've done your research so it saves me the bother!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Aldi gloves were OK, they fail when they get properly wet, fine in snow and cold. To get around that use a thin poly, silk or latex liner.

TBH if you don't mind sweaty fingers using latex gloves (£1 for 20 in poundland) inside any glove does a great job of keeping your hands warm. Works like a wet suit.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Guys found this but have yet to try them, much cheapness..
    http://www.universal-textiles.com/UK-UT/index.php

FCN 6 (Road)
    FCN 9 (MTB)
    FCN 11 (Only ridden 2 miles to the station so if I get dropped
    you can shoot me)
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    How where the Optimum ones in the end as thinking of getting some myself.
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • El Selb
    El Selb Posts: 137
    Optimum ones were good! Still going.... time for some new ones now I think mind....
  • wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    Ski gloves for under 0 north face with a phone touch pad for 0-10 deg c none if warmer
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I use Polaris RBS Hoolie gloves, nice and bright and been very warm and comfortable, I managed to get mine for £17
  • Primark 2 pair for 2 pound and i have been out in -4 and my hands have been fine .
  • Cheap winter cycling gloves usually have a horrible man made inner liner that:

a. gets all tangled up when you take them off (making the next time putting them on annoying as hell)

b. make your hands sweaty because they don't breathe properlly - then your wet hands get cold thanks to the rubbish "not at all" windproof outer shell.

I use a pair of leather gloves with a woolly covered inside; no liner, easy to take on and off, keep the wind out and keep your hands warm (well as warm as gloved hands can be whilst riding in freezing conditions).... Have to re-waterproof them once a month, but for £15, they've lasted me years (downside: they are not at all fashionable).

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Venitex- ... ves-size-8
  • I had some magic woolen gloves that where warm enought for me and could use touch screens.

Unforantly they have gone missing I assume left in Bushy Park covered in blood last week, well that will give someone a fright!
  • I have a pair of Carharrt thermal gloves that I love that are not even intended for biking but I just prefer them. I also had picked up a cheap air of biking gloves brand name Dakine and they were pretty good and only $20. They are biking gloves.