Ullapool 130

holmeboy
holmeboy Posts: 674
Anybody doing this saturday? I'm entered, hope to beat 2009 time of 9hrs.

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I am doing it Holmeboy and really looking forward to it. Its a great event and the weather has improved vastly for tomorrow.

Trying to beat last years time of 7:45. I bonked massively last year at Lairg as I had an upset tum and had no breakfast and struggled with flapjack(which I normally relish) and was going to rely on gels which I had clerverly left in the car.

I know a few others that are going as well.
    Brian B.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    How did everybody get on? Its was nice to see you again Holmeboy.

I have to talk about the wind! It was brutal at times(How can you get 130mile headwind) and I literally almost got blown of my bike after Kylesku Bridge going through the gorge the side winds got me from one side then the other. It was one of my really scary moments on a bike.

Got a few heavy showers at Lock Stack which prevented the view of the lovely Ben Stack but the sun came out for me at Loch Shin and got home in sunshine. There was only one guy left on the road in front of me and caught up with him at the Lairg feed station and he was spent. He went off too fast and the wind had taken too much out of him and he did not look like he was going to get back on his bike.

Despite being on better form and felt good the whole 130miles I was still 4mins slower than last year at 7:49 but wont grumble as last years weather condidtions were perfect.

What a fantastic route though in regards to scenery. Its almost too much to take in. Hope everybody else had a good time.
    Brian B.
  • Just back from Ullapool Brian, bagged Munro Yesterday (Beinn Dreach).
    That's a good time considering the Wind which like you're saying was coming from all different directions and a real baw breaker.
    +1 for the wind and Rain. Soaked after turning at Laxford then showers till after Lairg. Had forgotten how many hills there were on this. The last few just about finished me off. Had a coupla mechanicals, left hand crank come loose twice, thanks to the guys who stopped with the 8mm Allen keys!
    Put an effort in all the way and managed 8' 42'' so pleased beat last times time.
    :)