Stretching ???

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Do any of you stretch when you arrive at work or when you get home ? or is it a sore subject :oops:

I keep meaing to, but alas...

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Now that i've got into commuting most days on the bike i find I don't actually need to anymore. Not sure why you my joints don't seize up but there you go. I drop into an easy gear and spin for the last few minutes of each ride.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Yes, I do.
  • I do since I had a recurring strain in my right quad, in the shower usually, just have to make sure I dont slip over :oops: .

Never did stretch before the injury though, probably won't do it again at some point... then I will probably get injured again :roll:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I save all my stretching up for my weekly yoga session, you know, for maximum pain and discomfort :P
  • I don't. Cycling plus no stretching equals stiff body. And that's me..
  • I don't. Cycling plus no stretching equals stiff body. And that's me..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:
    I save all my stretching up for my weekly yoga session, you know, for maximum pain and discomfort :P

Pfft, so YOU'RE the guy at the back moaning and groaning.

When the teacher says "this will be especially tough for cyclists" you make another grunt to demonstrate how hardcore and athletic you really are - and that this yoga malark is not you being girly, but as a supplement to manly sport.

You're a marked man now!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I try to but making a coffee is usually a higher priority
  • Stretching's for girls
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • Yes but not every ride. Probably only about twice a week on average (my stretching set takes more time than my commute)

I am trying to become more flexible so I treat my commute as my warm up for stretching. Trying to rollback years of abuse I hurled at myself as a teenager by doing the healthy stuff now :-(
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    I stretch after every ride, i find that i really lose flexibility if i don't and that my recovery is worse also.

Doesn't take more than a few min to loosen up the legs nicely.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    tiny_pens wrote:
    Yes but not every ride. Probably only about twice a week on average (my stretching set takes more time than my commute)

I am trying to become more flexible so I treat my commute as my warm up for stretching. Trying to rollback years of abuse I hurled at myself as a teenager by doing the healthy stuff now :-(

+1

I have the flexibility of an OAP and it was starting to cause problems so the bike commute does the warm-up part and I now stretch most days. Interesting it has become a nice way to transition into work mode and to physically cool down before washing.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    No, but I really should.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    seeing this thread after the sex toy thread made me a little nervous about the potential content
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    timmyflash wrote:
    Stretching's for girls

This comment is useless without pics
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I try to at work but normally result in having a quick 3-way in the shower (fnar). At home I've got one of the foam rollers and that makes for a fantastic stretch session. Unfortunately the kids normally jump on me as soon as I sit down which makes it a bit harder to finish the routine.

Makes a big difference when I can finish it though.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Twice a day now :)
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Makes a big difference when I can finish it though.

Snigger :oops:

Thniking I should leave 5 mins earlier and stretch, at least just the legs.

Thanks guys.