Hollowtech on my Anthem 2011?

markt.safc
markt.safc Posts: 52
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. Can i put a new SLX HT2 crankset and its BB on my new Anthem 2011? Presumably by first removing the pressfit BB first?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No it presumably won't be threaded.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bit of a worry. What happens if i want to replace the crankset?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends which it has, there are a few different standards.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I checked Giant's website but it just says 'Shimano press fit'. Not really confident enough to remove it to see.
    I did however, look at Park Tools website and my interpretation was that the BB stays and the HT2 crankset just fits in as per normal. The reason I ask is I'm hoping to replace worn parts in the future to 10 speed and want to know what parts to get.
  • Yes you can fit a Hollowtech II chainset to that frame. You will need to buy an additional BB though, the one that comes in the box won't fit.

Just had a look at the Giant website and the Anthem X all have Hollowtech II chainsets on them already.
  • So am i right in thinking that the BB fitted to the bike right now would accept a HT2 crankset but the BB that comes with the crankset is no good and could be re-sold?
    OR, does this mean I would need a another type of pressfit BB not the one that's on the bike at present or the one that comes in the box alongside the crankset?
  • It should have a HT II crank on it already so putting an SLX on should be a straight swap. The BB in the box would be no use to you and yes you could sell it.