Bike light that provides a good flood.

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Can someone recommend a good light that produces more of a flood than a spot. Not too expensive £30 ish
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dealextreme xml T6 - sorted.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • widge34
    Would one of these be enough for night riding tricky singletracks in the woods of the FOD?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    read this, prob the last ten pages or so, a xml t6 is Just a type of led. An can be found in a multitude of torch's an lamps. http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... start=1420
  • The Rookie
    widge34 wrote:
    Would one of these be enough for night riding tricky singletracks in the woods of the FOD?
    Yes, most the crew I ride with (on wooded single track mostly very similar to the FOD) use the Dealextreme light, its almost certainly the only xml T6 you'll get for under £30 (about £28.50 at current exchange rates), although you'll need to waterproof the battery pack (silicon sealer) and get a US to UK plug adapter (I already had one) the same part can be had off ebay with UK charger for about £32.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MagicShine MJ-872 if you want a very good flood light, next day delivery off eBay (seller ID: magicshine_direct)... Or if you can wait a month, get one from China....

At the start of the month I bought the magicshine off eBay (as I needed a light that week) and at the same time bought T6 from China; its still not arrived yet.

For off road trail riding you really need to have 2 lights... One for the bars and one for your helmet (for line of sight illumination as your bars don't point where you want to go when going round corners!)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    either the torch route
    2 or 3 of these (400-450 otf lumen)

1 or 2 mounts this
    or this

some 18650 laptop batteries from old laptops or ebay

A charger

about £35-45 - 2 will give you about 20% more output than the 30 quid T6 complete light (approx 800 otf lumen)
    and better flood and control.
  • widge34
    Cheers guys. Much appreciated.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 the MJ-872

Very tidy and very bright. All my mates now have them :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • The Rookie
    My Dealextreme xml T6 arrived after 12 days........

Simon
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Have a look at head lights. I got one of eBay 1200lumen for £25 with focus adjustment and tilt lights up everything you need to see and more. all I needed to do was wrap two tie wraps either side of the stem and used one of the head bungies too wrap around the stem to hold the battery pack on and done, looks really smart and is small too.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • I just preordered this puppy (free shipping and 25% off make it less than MJ-872). Hope it's nice.

http://gemini-lights.com/products/xera

It's not as massively powerful, but it's smaller and lighter - seems like it's aimed to be a cheaper Lupine Piko equivalent. If you're only going to have one light it should be a helmet light, and a helmet light shouldn't be massive.

Though it's a bit pricier than what you're looking for I guess. I understand the DX lights are great bang for the buck, but the build quality isn't so great and the batteries can be a bit flaky. Unbeatable prices though, almost in the 'too good to be true' territory.

Weight and beamshots here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-rid ... 37838.html
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    jon1993 - do you have a link?
    eskachig why that one over this it seems very similar?
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Another +1 for the MJ872 if you want a flood, very impressed by mine :)
  • Make that ANOTHER +1 for the MJ-872 - I went for a 1st time ride with MB Swindon last week on a poxy commuter light around Croft Trail, ordered the MJ-872 from Magicshine UK and had an awesome time through the woods last night.

I paid a bit more for it, but weighed up the price vs. the ability to send it back with 12 months warranty! :D