Lost confidence after crash - options??

2»

Comments

• I think if you're worried about skidding off, you shouldn't ride on the Ice Road.

(yes it's bad... sometimes I can't help myself....)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    As with others here, I dont think the bike was necessarily the problem, or the tyres, but changing it could help or you could adjust your technique in that particular circumstance.

My son did a very similar thing when moving up from 20" wheels to a 24" wheel MTB. Going along the road he went to go up a lowered kerb onto the pavement but because the wheel was at too slight an angle, the wheel was pulled along the kerb rather than riding over it - so the bike went the opposite of the way he was steering and fell from under him.

Upon analysing it, and a few other near misses of a similar nature, I realised that on his bike with smaller wheels he could get away with it, but with bigger wheels he needed to attack the kerb at a steeper angle. Once this was learned he was fine.

I think this is effectively what happened to you, and by ensuring you ride over kerbs at a steeper angle you will avoid it happenning again.

Having said this, wider tyres or smaller wheels would probably lessen the problem if you are concerned.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    vorsprung wrote:
    MichaelW's "advice" is best ignored. Sorry Michael.

So what is the best way to crash. I don't mean to avoid a crash, I mean once you know that a crash is happening and it isn't going to stop until you are down.
    Putting your hand out will break your shoulder blade and skin your hand, hitting head first will hurt your head, sticking your elbows or hips out will impact on bony, vulnerable areas. As far as I can figure out a judo style or parachute style roll will distribute the impact rather than concentrate it. The upper arm and shoulder are most heavily muscled and best equipped to take impact.
    How to track riders deal with crashes?
    I have wiped out and hit the road twice and it worked both times.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    edited September 2011
    Dalton wrote:
    wombar wrote:
    ... The day you assume, is the day you ninja roll over the front of your handlebars :)

Ah, there was the problem... the OP didn't ninja roll... he put his hand out!

Actually, the worst damage I've done to myself recently was running over the road to get a sarnie one lunch time and tripping over a kerb and bashing my elbow, still hurts a few weeks after... I should be afraid of walking across the road, very afraid... lol... in fact I think I'll go back to bed...its safer there :lol:

Oi - less of the sarcasm thanks!

Otherwise, thanks for your opinions, good to hear from someone who rides as much as you do. I note that you ride a hybrid style bike with wider tyres? How come you chose this over drops and skinny tyres?

Do yoiu ride this set-up all year round?
    Sorry :)
    I've ridden this bike most of the year round for the last 4 years, its a heavy bike (15kg) with 28mm Continental tyres. So not slicks but grippy enough as long as you don't overcook it. I bought it before I was really 'into' bikes as a commuter and it was recommended to me by the shop. I like the upright riding position in traffic, but now I ride a 'proper' bike at weekends I find it a tad cumbersome, so looking to replace it with a relaxed geometry road bike with drops. Personally I dont find much difference in grip between the two bikes, if you hit a wet manhole cover or a kerb at the wrong angle you're going to lose it sooner or later - and i don't ride on ice, but there are equally slippy things - wet leaves for instance, and partly crushed horse chesnuts is a current hazard where I live. What makes a difference IMHO is the longer wheelbase of the hybrid makes it less skittish on the potholes and therefore more controlled in tight traffic.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    MichaelW wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

So what is the best way to crash. I don't mean to avoid a crash, I mean once you know that a crash is happening and it isn't going to stop until you are down.
    Putting your hand out will break your shoulder blade and skin your hand, hitting head first will hurt your head, sticking your elbows or hips out will impact on bony, vulnerable areas. As far as I can figure out a judo style or parachute style roll will distribute the impact rather than concentrate it. The upper arm and shoulder are most heavily muscled and best equipped to take impact.
    How to track riders deal with crashes?
    I have wiped out and hit the road twice and it worked both times.

You've not seen some of us then :lol:

I have heard this theory before - tuck and roll - and as you say, it works for parachutists who tend to hit the ground quite hard. I'm just not sure I'd have the presence of mind to not revert to the instinctual putting my arms out.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/article/technique-crashing-for-dummies-24316
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    MichaelW wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

It depends. There are too many variables to say "roll this way, keep elbows in" or whatever, so don't try. Your reflexes have been trained over many generations to try to keep you safe in the "panic" situation when you don't have time to react, and it's pointless to try to override them.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sorry to hear this, hope you heal up quickly.

I agree with vorsprung. Get back on the bike. I was off for months after my crash and surgery and was itching to get back on - and that's after getting hit by a car. Best thing you can do is get back on ASAP. The more you procrastinate the harder it will be to ride again.

Don't change the bike.

+1.

Getting back on is important.

I'm not entirely convinced a change of bike would make a difference, it's also one hell of a change for one bit of road on a 7mile commute that made you have off, once. If the entire route changed - to say off road, gravel path etc then sure that's cause to change the bike.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game