Upgraded my lights for winter

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited September 2011 in Road buying advice
My previous system consisted of a LED Lenser P7 torch attached to the handlebar with an arrangement of cable ties, bits of inner tube and rubber packing, and a tiny piece of wood that I hand carved from a chip fork. Classy. I've upgraded to the same torch held on with a rubber/velcro arrangement called a Lock Block. The results so far . . .
    - Fitting was a bit frustrating - only one of the straps is long enough to go round either the oversize bar or the torch. Cable ties to the rescue for attaching to the bar!
    - It wobbles more than the original arrangement, but not enough to compromise the all-important showing me where I'm going
    - I can take the torch off between rides without recourse to cutting the cable ties
    - The increased wobble allows me to push down on the back of the torch and point it straight at oncoming drivers - who can't pretend they haven't seen it, and tend to dip their lights in response
Overall: well worth the hefty price tag of £7 (for a rubber block and two velcro straps!) and would fit even better on bars that aren''t oversized. I'll try one on the MTB next.
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    I just hold the torch in my mouth and it saves me having to mess around with chip forks
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    What's wrong with duct tape?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Some folk think the lock blocks are great. I think they are a bit crap for the reasons you say but I've got into trouble for saying that!

Not been out anywhere dark enough to see how good the fix yet is but I have reduced the wobbling a bit. I wrapped some wooden coffee stirrer offcuts in insulation tape and inserted them into the slots for the straps - the relatively tight fit of strap and stirrer reduces quite a lot of the flex without affecting the removeablility or appearance of the setup.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Coffee stirrers? Insulating tape? Do you think I'm made of money?

More seriously, I'll give that a go - thanks for the tip
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    @ Rolf

"but I've got into trouble for saying that!"

No you didn't, I just said I was happy with mine! As I recall there were others in agreement with you.

maybe cos I've never used anything else I'm happy with the general wobbliness of the thing. I too tend to direct it as required to dazzle oncoming dickheads or pick out muntjac lurking in the hedgerows.