Where do I get a Fixxie frame?

combat_wombat
combat_wombat Posts: 2,188
edited October 2011 in Road general
Hi

I have an old peugeot triathlon 501, like this one, which must be nearly as old as I am, which i converted to fixed 10 years ago.
I have ridden it loads, maybe more than my geared bikes.

But I should really get something better, its a bit rusty and i recon i could get a lighter bike.

All components are fine (I replace them from time to time)
I want a frame that takes 'guards + 28mm tyres.
I want the Frame to come with Forks, bars and seatpost.

Will a new frame be much lighter?
I like the geometry of the peugeot (ie it isn't an attacking track frame)

I don't really want to spend as much as £300
happy with second hand

any suggestions?
or do I just watch ebay?

48/19 Winter : 105 Summer

Comments

• On-One Pompino frame might do the job. Not sure of the price but have a look at the On-One website, they're competitively priced (understatement...) and very helpful.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I will second the Pompino - don't let the cantilever brakes put you off (or you can swap for a road fork and run a caliper on the front only)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • The Pompino looks great
    I can buy just the bits i need too (ie I don't have to buy whole bike)

but seriously CANTILEVERS?!

I thought they were limited to BSOs

The on-one Macinato uses calipers - but then no 'guards.

I just can't do Canti's and want 'guards - any other options out there?

48/19 Winter : 105 Summer
  • TommyEss
    What's the problem with cantilevers? They give better performance than calipers. They're not that hard to set up. (even I managed it).
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss
    If you really
    just can't do Canti's and want 'guards
    then take a look at the Pearson Hanzo - think they do it as frame only.

But seriously GET OVER IT and get the Pompino. Cheaper, better thought out for attaching the guards and better colour options.

Just in case you are in any doubt as to how up to date cantilevers can be, maybe take a look here.
  • Canti's are great. Good enough for Zdenek Stybar
  • If you don't mind 650a Archie Wilkinson steel frame £75, with forks £99, the alloy version is more expensive and I think it can take 700c wheels even though it's built for 650a.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • bilsea159
    bilsea159 Posts: 256
    I have just bought the on one bike and love the canti brakes on it. Set up properly the braking performance is as good as my road bikes campag brakes but I love the fact that with the 35mm tyres fitted I can easily fit mudguards with no brakes getting in the way which is the usual problem.
  • I think these are pretty good looking fixie bikes...

http://www.statebicycle.com/category_s/3.htm