How do you protect your face.

calonuk
calonuk Posts: 78
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
As reports of cold weather loom, and this being my first winter i have just been wondering do any of you wear face protection during the colder months?

exercise.png

Comments

• 28127-condom_head.jpg
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • LOL not quite what i had in mind.

exercise.png
  • It's the toes that get me. In sub-zero temperatures I'll wear a skull cap under the helmet for the ears and glasses to stop the eyes watering but that's all.
  • When it's really cold a skull cap covers my forehead and a buff covers everything below the eyes (both merino).
  • I've got a buff that sits around my neck but if I do start feeling chilled on the face, it's easy enough to pull up for a while. The problem is that breathing makes most things on your face damp and then it ends up feeling icky. Some lipbalm never goes awry though.

I'm currently debating which jacket to buy. I've got a decent windproof and lots of layers but wondering about the waterproof bit. Given that it doesn't rain every day, I'm tempted just to buy a decent mid-weight waterproof (e.g. Sugoi RPM) and pull that over the top if it's wet. Or do I go out and buy a winter jacket but if it's waterproof, I'm worried that I'll overheat in it. Argh... decisions... decisions...
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    http://twitpic.com/3c4gak

I wear the goggles as well, to keep the wind and cold out of my eyes (not to mention the road grit etc.).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • you can't fail with a buff, head, ears and face.

You don't need to be paying silly prices either, every one of mine has come free off the front of a magazine and have been fine throughout many winters, the last few including night riding at below -10c.
  • Quite sad really i have never heard of a buff.

Just found this and i like the look of the polar one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewVEK-AE ... re=related

exercise.png
  • Buff all the way.... :wink:
    Still breathing.....
  • I use a nice buff that came free with C+ last year. And a good moisturizer, of course.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Looking forward to testing the polartec Buff I got from the CTC stand at the Yorks cycle show. That was a tenner irrc which is less than the standard ones cost but potentially a lot cosier!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    CrackFox wrote:
    I use a nice buff that came free with C+ last year. And a good moisturizer, of course.

+1, got two thin cheap ones and a better one with a fleecy bit at the bottom or top, depending which way you hold it. In fact I've used my C+ buff all year, I wipe my glasses in it before a ride, gloves, buff and glasses are all kept together :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    Buffs are great but over any distance get damp .the gore face mask allows you to breath and gives good ear and face coverage.there are variations , i think dhb do a similar version.
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    Buffs are great but over any distance get damp .the gore face mask allows you to breath and gives good ear and face coverage.there are variations , i think dhb do a similar version.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    buff for the bonce and ears

nice high collar for the neck.

lisalve for the lips.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ear warmers and purol zalf.

But I wear ear warmers when it's 15°C and a little windy.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Nutrogena moisturiser and lip balm if it's cold and I pull a buff up if it's windy to stop my face getting chapped. Cycled home last night with make up on and no glasses - ended up with black go-faster stripes all across my face - not a good look.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ear warmers and buff, I own 3 :oops: , get the merino, you'll find you wear it off the bike... unless thats just me?
  • I have a buff worn from the chin, over the ears and round to the middle of my head.

I keep the front clear to allow some cooling, as even on the coldest days I get a VERY hot on top. My glasses cover my eyes, so the only part exposed is my mouth and nose.

I've tried covering but whatever I use restricts my breathing too much and fogs up the glasses.

When it was -7 last year I used a thinsulate neck cover in place of the buff and used the buff just for the head.

I actually found that just a thermal base layer and Nightvision jacket was plenty for my torso. I must be hot-blooded.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Next time you cook some sausages save the fat in the bottom of the frying pan. A good scoop of this rubbed into the face before a winter run totally protects against chapping and aids in training as you have to outrun all of the dogs that will be chasing you.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Beard.

Also a Buff covering the head and ears if it's really cold. I can't get on with a buff covering the face because I wear glasses and haven't found a way to do it such that they don't fog up.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    nation wrote:
    Beard.

161957_141478395913962_4234994_n.jpg

:)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    A thick layer of vaseline.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    A thick layer of vaseline.

He said FACE..... :shock: