floor pump

coman1985
coman1985 Posts: 46
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
I was on a ride the other day and found my rear tire was a little flat.I thought i would give it a bit of air when a dodgy valve blew off and completly flattened my tire.

So i went to my local LBS for a new innertube and asked them if they do a floor pump with a guage on it so i could see what pressure i was putting in. Its a park tool one so it wasnt a cheap one but im confused as when i pump my tire up the guage shoots up and shoots straight down. It doesnt let the air out yet im not quick enough to get a decent reading or even if its accurate are they all like this and you have to just see roughly what psi your at or is it just mine??

Comments

• Did you ask the shopkeeper to show you how it worked?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • stupidly no thought it would be obvious just put it on and pump and the guage would go up....
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Sounds like the nozzle isn't sealed against the tire valve. First time I used mine it felt natural to put the locking lever in the vertical position, put the nozzle on the valve and then push the lever down - I had the same problem as you.

I realised that on my pump at least, you fit the nozzle on the valve with the lever at 90 degrees to the valve, then lift it. Sorted.
  • thats been how i have been fitting it. Tried it both ways but it will inflate the tire really firm. Although it will not register any pressure it flicks up and flicks straight down theres no sound of air loss.

I have a parker tool mechanical pump with a double nozzle for presta and schrader and im pumping a schrader valve. I remove the dust cap unscrew the valve place the schrader adapter on with the lever flat and then i pull the catch up to 90 degrees. This will pump away and keeps pressure although the guage flicks up and down. With the guage i set the needle to 100 psi could this be the problem??
  • TheBigBee is apparently an idiot (or an idiot has nicked his login).

As others have said, your pump is not doing what we would expect it to. My JoeBlow reports very high pressure for the first pump (before the valve clears) then you hear a ping as the inner tube valve opens and the pressure guage drops to the tyre pressure (and stays there). The reported pressure may vary a bit as you pump (as it's measuring pressure at the end of the hose) but as soon as you stop it should report the pressure in the tube not zero.

+1 on taking it back to the shop for a double check.

You could also try looking on the Park website if you don't have the instruction sheet http://www.parktool.com/product/home-mechanic-floor-pump-pfp-6, there may be something obvious you've missed.
  • thanks for all your help. I do feel really guilty for not saying thank you trust me i really do appreciate all of you taking time out of your day.

I spoke to the shop im taking it back saturday. I did try everything and i have spoken to them and they seem to think there is something wrong with the pump. I just wanted to ask if it was something i was missing or whether it was normal but i will update you all saturday once i find out kind regards to all of you and hope i can help all of you in the future
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think it could be one of those things where we could all type loads of words and it won't help one jot. As you have figured, a trek back to the shop so you can show someone what you are doing and then they can figure out what is wrong (the pump or you, and no shame if that).

Let us know what it turns out to be.
  • The final results!!

I went back to my lbs where i got the pump from. When i brought the pump i also got a innertube. Turned out that the innertube valve was long enough for hand pump and to pump up but i needed another ten mm. This allowed the pump to push on further to seal properly to get a pressure measurement.

The story doesnt end there after changing the innertube and also two on a mountain bike for my missus. I noticed no matter how hard i went i could only get the road tire to 60 psi and the mountain bikes to 20. (propbably because it got worse). Turned out the pump had a fault in it anyway and was leaking air and couldnt get the pressure in.

Got a new one and couldnt believe how much psi it can push in! i used an old floor pump before but this one did a mountain bike tire to 45 psi in 6 pumps!!!

All in all bit of a mixed bag but thanks for everyones help just remember to make sure your valved stick out more than 20 mm.

Although i still find it weird as the instructions say only to push it on 10mm!