The ultimate commuting machine?

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Not some namby pamby Alfine 11-speed with carbon drive, hub dynamo lights and mounts for racks and 'guards, but Bruce Bursford's record breaking bike.

6169536039_fe8f55f62a_z.jpg
From his successful world record attempt, set in 1995, of 208 mph. Yes, 208 mph. However it was set on rollers and lasted 30 seconds.

6169537083_6d89478b4c_z.jpg
Gearing is apparently 150 gear feet, so that's 1800 gear inches. That's approximately a 2 foot chain ring! Might have been a little slow pulling away from the lights.

6170073854_d92f6a2600_z.jpg
Tyres were filled with helium for the record, with the rear spinning at over 14,000rpm at speed and the bike won a Millenium product award (source) for its innovative use of F1 and aerodynamic technology. Not sure why he needed aerodynamics for the rollers, but anyway.

So, look for my new Strava times next week!
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• :drool:
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    The spare chain ring on the wall looks even bigger. Or is it a spare set of wheels with ice spike tyres?
  • WTF? 150 tooth, 2 foot wide chainring?!! Bloody Nora, that thing looks bigger than the wheels on my mate's brompton.

Anyway, reaching speeds of 208mph on a commute to work iis all good and well, but it doesn't look like it has mudguard eyelets, so I wouldn't buy one :)
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Is it available on Cycle-to-work?
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Not much give in that saddle...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Who needs it? You'll be there in about two minutes.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • FCN?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    On rollers?

What's the point of aero bars? :?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Can see some RLJing happening here
  • Maybe I'm a bit dopey but I simply don't get this on numerous levels. 208mph on rollers? Is that with no resistance on the friction widget? How is this in any way meaningful? Surely air resistance is what it's all about. Why do you need all that carbon and aero design for rollers?
    Trek Madone 5.9, Trek Rumblefish 2, Kinesis Racelight T for the rain and a Kawasaki ZX12 R.
  • Wrath Rob
    Forgot to say that this is on display at the Brooklands museum. Went there on Tuesday and was pleasantly surprised that they had a large cycling collection with the BB bike as the centrepiece. I spent a little time on the banking which was quite eerie too. Despite the plants growing through the cracks in the concrete I was still expecting an aero engined Napier to come flying past me at any second. Worth a visit if you're into cars (and like bikes), plus the Mercedes World thing is next door.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Thought I was looking at Bert Grabsch TT bike from yesterday :P
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    He'd be much better off with MTB SPD style pedals, if he plans to do any walking at all. As you would... on a bike.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rebs wrote:
    Thought I was looking at Bert Grabsch TT bike from yesterday :P

"Still, he acknowledged that as a rouleur, the course mostly suited him and he only shifted three or four times during the race. "I was riding a 58x11..."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Anyone fancy taking that up hardknott?
  • Ok, Ok, few minutes and you're at work. But how the heck you stop then???
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Even if that's running a fixed gear at the back it needs at least a front brake to be road legal.

And if it is fixed at the back and you have to go through a 20MPH school distict then, at 18,000 GI that would be a cadence of about.......erm.......none?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Anyone fancy taking that up hardknott?

You filthy bugger!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I think even LiT might acknowledge that GI is a little.....er.......excessive. I'd love to see the size of his thighs, I bet he makes Sir Chris look like Andy Schleck

Anyway I'm sure those bars aren't UCI legal any more and I'd want to get a spirit level on that saddle before I even consider it
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Wrath Rob
    I did some more reading last night and found out that he was "towed" to 100mph to get him started. While that's a bit of a cop out, it still meant that he had to accelerate from 100 to 208. Crazy.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I don't think skid-stopping would be a goer on that..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Wheres the lights?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Chain's a bit slack... :wink:
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )