Help! Why won't juicys fit on my new Anthem 2011?

markt.safc
markt.safc Posts: 52
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just took delivery of my shiny new anthem and am in the process of swapping a few bits over from my old frame (Rocky Altitude) and forks (fox float 32 r) but have ran into problems fitting brakes. My new X4 has come with shimanos m445 (?) and giant's own wheelset. My plan is to put my Mavic crossrides on with my juicy brakes (185mm front, 160mm rear) but the juicy's don't seem to want to talk to the frame or forks. Do i need some sorts of adaptors? I certainly did for the rocky but the anthem looks like a different fitting altogether!
Really baffled and frustrated as i had visions of being out and about on i now!! :oops:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What fittings are they. Post or IS?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • the calipers are on the frame and forks ok but the wheels aren't spinning that freely. I've had them loosened and tightened but no joy. Now the rear brake's gone all squidgy. Wish i'd just left the shimanos on :cry:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    have you reset the pistons?

you are unlikely to get a like for like swap from frame to frame without some adjustment

sounds like you might need some spacers
  • pics of what you have?
  • Reset pistons?? How do i go about doing that?
    Spacers?? What are they and where would i source them from?? It does seem that the calipers are pretty much 'sat on' the rotors. You might have it there so any more info on this would be great. That goes for anyone else as well. More the merrier
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you got a manual? They can be downloaded from SRAM. Do they have the Tri Align washer system?

Push the pistons back into their bores.
  • Not sure of the type of washer system used. All i can say is that there seems to be two 'washers' inbetween the caliper and the frame and 2 more washers between the caliper and the bolt. Perhaps i have them aligned incorrectly/ in the wrong order?
    I will say that they are mighty fiddly.
    I read a few forums online written by others with similar probs and i had a go at the pads with a flat head screwdriver. Worked on the front one (that's fne now) but the back one won't shift (noticably) and the lever's gone a bit squishy to boot. I could ride the bike at a push and try pulling the lever a bit to see if that jolts it into place or maybe just far enough to get it to my lbs! But i suspect a bleed is going to be the answer here.
    Should have bought Shimanos!
  • cooldad
    As SS said - have you read the manual?
    And if the Anthem came with Shimanos, why not just leave them on?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Checked the manual and fitted correctly at last (as far as i can see anyway) but still rubbing something chronic. Gonna re-bleed (well the lbs id) and see where that leaves me. Otherwide the cheap and cheerful Shimanos are going back on! Cheers guys
  • cooldad
    Do you have a 185 rotor with a 180 adapter?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Rear is 160mm rotor. No adaptor. Front is 185mm adaptor and 185mm rotor. Rear is gragging the most
  • or dragging
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Regular thing with Acids. Most likely the curved washers not aligned right. Loosen both bolts off, wobble the caliper so it can move, then check there is no tension in the hose that is pulling the caliper to one side. Then squeeze the lever on, nip up both bolts evenly, a little bit at a time. Release the lever and see if the wheel spins smoothly. Often though this doesnt work and you have to align it by eye. Loosen the 2 bolts, then move the caliper by hand until you can see an even gap either side of the disc. I find a piece of white paper underneath the bike helps.
  • Sounds like a plan. Cheers Mattv
    I'll let you know how that goes
  • Success! Cheers all. I can actually get out on it tomorrow! Weeeeeeeeeee