Beano, Dandy or Whizzer and Chips?

Vesterberg
Vesterberg Posts: 330
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
well?

Comments

• 100% vote for the Beano! :lol:
    (Well, since I'm the only doley to have voted yet)
    Dennis the Menace, Bash Street Kids all the way, mind you, this is the late 60s/early 70s one I'm talking about, not the PC crap versions now, no whackings for Dennis after he's bullied Walter.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Whizzer and Chips for me,i remember getting the Christmas Annuals as well and i enjoyed that comic until i moved on to 2000AD,that memory made me smile cheers Vesty.
  • I used to have a Dandy when I was younger......now sadly it looks like a shrivelled Beano.

i voted whizzer and chips by the way.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Beano - used to get it delivered back in the 70s.
  • Beano or Dandy - it's a Dundee thing
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Beano, Calamity James especially.
  • I feel like a greedy so and so as I used to get to read all three. My mitigation is that I'm one of 3 brothers and we had a different comic each which we obviously swapped anyway after we read 'our' comic.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Beano, without a doubt!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Beano for me in the late 80's - i have every annual from about 85- 98 my aunt got me them every year religiously.

i still have a stack of old weekly's at my mums house
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I feel like a greedy so and so as I used to get to read all three. My mitigation is that I'm one of 3 brothers and we had a different comic each which we obviously swapped anyway after we read 'our' comic.

Have a Brother and Sister and got to read all 3 too. Didn't realise then how useful my Siblings were.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Beano or Dandy - it's a Dundee thing
    +1
    How many people realise that Beanotown is in fact Dundee?
    Not a lot of Walters here though, in fact I may be the closest thing.
  • Beano and Dandy from 1971 to 1977, then moved on to Battle, Action and 2000AD. Whizzer and Chips was an occasional extra treat when my dad walked into the newsagents with me.
  • Dandy for me, but I've always been a snazzy dresser.

First thing Mrs tank did when we set up home was bin about 3/4 of me clothes :lol:

Bloody philistine, cutting edge I was, back in the day. Oh hum! :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I was a Victor kid myself, loved that comic.

Warmonger. :wink:

Mind you those Commando books that cost sixpence were good weren't they. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Loved the Commando books, used to get Shoot! as well. Usually opted for the Beano out of those listed. But mostly spent my pocket money, not that we (2 brothers and me) got regular pocket money (orphan sons of a widowed mother :cry: ), on sweets. And relied on the Broons and Oor Wullie on a Sunday for reading.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    100% vote for the Beano! :lol:
    (Well, since I'm the only doley to have voted yet)
    Dennis the Menace, Bash Street Kids all the way, mind you, this is the late 60s/early 70s one I'm talking about, not the PC crap versions now, no whackings for Dennis after he's bullied Walter.
    This, same time period.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Am I the only one who used to have Battle and Action, with Hookjaw the shark in? Perhaps I am ....
  • Am I the only one who used to have Battle and Action, with Hookjaw the shark in? Perhaps I am ....

nope I remember Battle and Action.

we used to get beano , dandy and whizzer and chips as they came out on different days.

and surely the question should be

Whizzer OR Chips.

was there also a comic called Buster ??
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png

Warmonger. :wink:

Mind you those Commando books that cost sixpence were good weren't they. :D

More products of Dundee's DC Thomson :D

I loved Commando books. Many a wet caravan holiday was spent reading them - Banzai! (and other non PC classics)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    I was a Victor kid myself, loved that comic.

+1
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I'm a member of the Desperate Dan Pie Eater's Club. Secret passwords and all, best 50p stuck to a card I ever sent through the post.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    When I was 12, I got a letter published in Whizzer and Chips. Then I decided I wanted to be a journalist. It never happened.

As a student, sharing a flat with people studying different stuff, we used to get 3 magazines delivered weekly: Computing Weekly, British Medical Journal & Beano. Spot the arts student!

I did once get to visit the editorial office at DC Thomson, dropping off some copy. Not a catapult in sight.

And then, given my innocent comic-based upbringing, the first time I was given a copy of VIZ, I very nearly soiled myself laughing.

Happy times!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Voted Beano but Buster was the best.

Loved the Jocks & Geordies in the Dandy. Mustn't forget Bananaman as well!
  • was there also a comic called Buster ??

Yes there was, I used to get Monster Fun when I was a kid, which merged with Buster later on. Couldn't stand Beano or Dandy, I assumed comics were meant to be funny and they just weren't.
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    Started off reading the Dandy, later graduated to Shiver & Shake and later Action. I seem to remember that Action was toned down because there was too much blood/violence in the Hookjaw and Death Game 1999 stories. Was never the same after that. :(
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Anyone remember Winker Watson & Dirty Dick ....!!!
    jc
  • Can't vote because I used to get Dandy myself (ooooerrrr!) and used to religiously read the Beano that I had to deliver to one of the houses on my paper round - they complained once that their copy was "well thumbed" by the time it went through their letterbox!

Both were excellent.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris