My Bicycle and I

Hoopdriver
Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Hello

I thought I would use this platform to announce the launch of my new blog: http://www.My-Bicycle-and-I.com

By way of introduction I am a magazine writer and sometime photographer who loves bicycles and cycling. Unfortunately I seldom have the opportunity to write about either of those things in the magazines I usually work for and so I decided to put together this eclectic (and growing daily!) collection of stories, essays, musings and columns; sort of a magazine-style blog.

I hope you'll find some things in it you like.

Comments

• Looks good, best of luck :)
  • Hoopdriver
    Thanks - it's my first foray into this kind of thing
  • shouldn't it be "My bicycle and me"?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    shouldn't it be "My bicycle and me"?

Depends how he was planning on continuing.

My bicycle and I go everywhere together.
    Look at my bicycle and me
    My bicycle and me Tarzan you Jane
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Looks good, best of luck :)

+1 will try and set aside some time to read in full.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shouldn't it be "My bicycle and me"?

There is no me in bicycle :)

Seriously - great blog - love tha new bike - where did you get the bar bag - I've been after a decent one for ages to go with the Brooks on the tourer
  • Hoopdriver
    Thanks.

The bar bag is from Gilles Berthoud in France. Beautifully made. The one I have is their 12 litre (biggest capacity) one because I like to do short tours (B&B) and this way I can do it without panniers.
  • Love the 'Wheels of Chance' essay. Bringing back good memories of Melbourne. :)
  • Hoopdriver
    Thanks - I miss Melbourne too. Great place to live.
  • Great blog, well done.
  • My bicycle and I would like to thank you for bringing your blog to our attention.

Good luck with it mate
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    My bicyle and me would be better, simply because the web address would then not have a lower case i instead of upper case. Other than that, a good read. Is there any way we can be notified of an update? And is that new bicycle your wife's?
  • Hoopdriver
    I don't care for the solitary lower case 'i' either, but grammatically I liked bicycle and me a lot less so I went with the uglier widowed 'i'.

Nope the new bicycle is mine. Why do you ask?
  • Hoopdriver
    Oh yes - and as for updates, I plan to try to file pretty regularly. I travel a lot for my work so there will be times when that may be problematical, but in general I want to try to get something out every day.
  • I like "Me, the Bike and I"

Oh, and your blog when you skived off? Excellent! :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    I don't care for the solitary lower case 'i' either, but grammatically I liked bicycle and me a lot less so I went with the uglier widowed 'i'.

Nope the new bicycle is mine. Why do you ask?

I think the mixture of the light coloured tyres and the lilac/lavendar frame make it look sort of feminine.
  • Just had a little read and have to say, lovely writing style, beautiful pictures and a really professional looking blog. Well done! I'm looking forward to reading more and keeping up with your new entries. Massively nerdy question: is the typeface just Times New Roman? It gives the feeling that you are actually reading from a book - which I guess was your intention.

In a cyber world full of crappy looking blogs you have put in the time and effort to make something really very pretty. Nice one!
  • Hoopdriver
    Many thanks for the kind words. I hope you all continue to enjoy it.

Yes, I agree, the colour scheme on the new tourer does come off as a bit feminine - to be honest I had expected the main colour to turn out much more grayish than it actually did. That was the plan. But to be equally honest,I have to say that I like the unexpected colour and am quite happy to live with it.
  • Hoopdriver
    Just had a little read and have to say, lovely writing style, beautiful pictures and a really professional looking blog. Well done! I'm looking forward to reading more and keeping up with your new entries. Massively nerdy question: is the typeface just Times New Roman? It gives the feeling that you are actually reading from a book - which I guess was your intention.

In a cyber world full of crappy looking blogs you have put in the time and effort to make something really very pretty. Nice one!

Sorry, I see that I didn't answer your question - I believe the typeface is indeed Times New Roman. You must have a pretty good eye.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    At last, a blog that it worth reading! Well done - enjoyed the photos from Enigma.
  • Hoopdriver
    Many thanks. Those photos are mine by the way. I am a photographer as well as a writer.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Stop fishing for more compliments :wink:
  • Point of order - you have only ONE bicycle?

(Liking the blog though, good work)
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Hoopdriver
    No - I have three bicycles, a Thorn eXp expedition bike, a Pegoretti Luigino and a bespoke Enigma tourer; but I can ride only one at a time! :-)
  • Massively nerdy question: is the typeface just Times New Roman? It gives the feeling that you are actually reading from a book - which I guess was your intention.

There doesn't seem to be any font specified by the CSS in the site for the body text, so what you see is your browser's default. This is indeed generally Times New Roman.

Interesting blog BTW :)
  • Hoopdriver
    worthydolt wrote:
    Massively nerdy question: is the typeface just Times New Roman? It gives the feeling that you are actually reading from a book - which I guess was your intention.

There doesn't seem to be any font specified by the CSS in the site for the body text, so what you see is your browser's default. This is indeed generally Times New Roman.

Interesting blog BTW :)

Damn. I liked it better when it sounded like it was my intention! :-)