New Bike marin XM8 or Trek EX8

Timma
Timma Posts: 154
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
I'm after a new bike for general trails and the occasional trail centre trip.

Budget £1800 or near to.

seen a Marin mount vision xm8 for £1799 and a trek ex8 for £1800

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Both amazing bikes !! I had a Mount Vision and have also ridden an EX8 as a couple of my mates have them...they are both fantastic trial bikes, the Marin has been boosted to 140mm travel and the Trek 120mm..the marin is a great climber and is fun on decents,they also offer a lifetime bearing warranty. My mate has had to replace his shock bearings and link bearings a number of times.

I prefer the bolt through fork on the Marin...as for the rest of the spec they are comparable, with the Trek Bonty wheels able to run tubeless..the Marin 2x10 Speed the Trek 3x10..

The Marin has beefed up into a more aggresive trial bike..

Both great bikes and a dfficult call...I would try and demo and go with what feels right....however if it was my choice it would be the Marin
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Timma
    have a mount vision at the moment and loved riding it but feeling like i could enjoy a little slacker head and more travel. Not because of terrain or my riding just purely for the big grin!!
    Does climb like a demon how does the XM8 compare you think?

So local LBS getting the XM8 to test. Also agree about the bolt through fork, just considered the trek because of reviews.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Timma wrote:
    have a mount vision at the moment and loved riding it but feeling like i could enjoy a little slacker head and more travel. Not because of terrain or my riding just purely for the big grin!!
    Does climb like a demon how does the XM8 compare you think?

So local LBS getting the XM8 to test. Also agree about the bolt through fork, just considered the trek because of reviews.

I guess you have the 120mm which is the one I had...the new MV is a 140mm travel and has a slacker head angle (from 69.5 to 67.5) coupled with the 140mm Float and stiffer rear triangle should make decents much much more fun...the Trek is great though..although like I said has had bearing issues..Both have had great reviews...so a very though call.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Timma
    decents much more fun sold it to me!!
  • Looking at getting a xm8 this week. Look like great spec, have you got yours yet? What do you think?
  • Timma
    Got it last week, loving it , been out at the weekend and night ride tonight . Find it climbs as well as it descends , you can really move it about as much as my old mount vision 120m but just feels like you can get away with more.
    definately reccomend.
    If your getting the 2011 version then cycle surgery have them on sale , think they only have large left though.