First Commuting Crash!

bromyG
bromyG Posts: 59
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Had my first crash this morning after commuting for six months across central London!

All down to a pedestrian (workman in an orange hard hat!) walking out in front of me. It was on a wet block paved road which resulted in a spectacular sideways skid before my bike and I came adrift.

Fortunately neither the bike, the ped or I were hurt apart from a bruised knee and ego. The workman's foreman did come over and assist me in getting the chain back on the bike and made sure I was OK before letting me continue. He assured me he would speak to his crew and get them to be more careful.

:)

Red Brompton S6L

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Alls well that ends well.......at least it sounds like people did the right thing.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Congratulations! ;)
  • Need to learn the 'jump over the bars and land skidding along the road on your cleats' move. Looks spectacular when confronted with a left hooking car.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Need to learn the 'jump over the bars and land skidding along the road on your cleats' move. Looks spectacular when confronted with a left hooking car.

Nah, what you really need to do is slide across the bonnet, 70's TV cop style!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Need to learn the 'jump over the bars and land skidding along the road on your cleats' move. Looks spectacular when confronted with a left hooking car.

Have tried this. But I landed on my face... not nice!
  • I find your story boring and incomplete. I wish for more. I crave excitement and plot lines.

For example, I would write it thus:

I was feeling good this morning, a good meal and a great night with the the girlfriend had left my blood pumping; so I was giving it some beans on the way in. The roads were damp but clear and I was making really good time; leaving all and sundry reeling in my wake.

I came onto a section of blocked paving that hadn't dried out, so was slick with water; but I was confident of my skills and knew I could handle the treacherous surface with ease.

There were peds on both sides so I was keeping a wary eye on them while negotiating a particularly wet patch that left water spraying and a spreading wake from my slick tyres.

Suddenly: Disaster!

Without looking, this HUGE workman in overalls, hard hat, with a tool belt full of kit and bouncing off his distended belly just steps out. Right in front of me and directly in my path.

I frantically grab handfuls of brake, feel the front wheel slipping away from me so ease off. I transfer the weight to the back and pull the back wheel, now completely locked up, round so I'm now fully sideways on.

I'm spraying water everywhere and the bike is too fast to hold. I'm getting closer and closer to this huge guy who is now frozen in place as I'm careening towards him in a shower of water and curses.

I can't hold the bike and lose it just before I get to him, it flies one way. Me the other; I feel a sharp pain in my knee and know I'm injured; I only hope nothing and no one else is.

I come to a crashing halt, the bike on it's side, the chain adrift. Stunned, I lie there; then I hear running feet more workman are around me, helping me to my feet. One of them, the Supervisor helps me with my bike: we check it over for damage, fortunately there is none beyond the chain which is easily reseated. Only my knee is badly bruised, stiff with pain but I can carry on.

To the apologies of the workman and assurances of retribution from the Supervisor I cycle away. The road ahead is now quiet, the street behind me silent save for the naked anger of the Supervisor as he disciplines his unruly staff.

My first crash, not my fault, but a lesson learned.

How's that? :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rebs wrote:
    phy2sll2 wrote:

Have tried this. But I landed on my face... not nice!
    Heh. I was going to write the exact same thing.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I find your story boring and incomplete. I wish for more. I crave excitement and plot lines.

I was feeling good this morning, a good meal and a great night with the the girlfriend had left my blood pumping; so I was giving it some beans on the way in. The roads were damp but clear and I was making really good time; leaving all and sundry reeling in my wake.

I came onto a section of blocked paving that hadn't dried out, so was slick with water; but I was confident of my skills and knew I could handle the treacherous surface with ease.

There were peds on both sides so I was keeping a wary eye on them while negotiating a particularly wet patch that left water spraying and a spreading wake from my slick tyres.

Without looking, this HUGE workman in overalls, hard hat, with a tool belt full of kit and bouncing off his distended belly just steps out. Right in front of me and directly in my path.

I frantically grab handfuls of brake, feel the front wheel slipping away from me so ease off. I transfer the weight to the back and pull the back wheel, now completely locked up, round so I'm now fully sideways on.

I'm spraying water everywhere and the bike is too fast to hold. I'm getting closer and closer to this huge guy who is now frozen in place as I'm careening towards him in a shower of water and curses.

I can't hold the bike and lose it just before I get to him, it flies one way. Me the other; I feel a sharp pain in my knee and know I'm injured; I only hope nothing and no one else is.

I come to a crashing halt, the bike on it's side, the chain adrift. Stunned, I lie there; then I hear running feet more workman are around me, helping me to my feet. One of them, the Supervisor helps me with my bike: we check it over for damage, fortunately there is none beyond the chain which is easily reseated. Only my knee is badly bruised, stiff with pain but I can carry on.

To the apologies of the workman and assurances of retribution from the Supervisor I cycle away. The road ahead is now quiet, the street behind me silent save for the naked anger of the Supervisor as he disciplines his unruly staff.

BRAVO!

orsonclapping.gif
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    BRAVO!

orsonclapping.gif[/quote]

The man on the left looks like he´s stroking a pet aligator or something...
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    K_B you should write for a newspaper or magazine, or how about 'Enders? :lol::lol:
  • I find your story boring and incomplete. I wish for more. I crave excitement and plot lines.

Can be bothered to read all that, when will the movie be out? :lol:
  • I never realised you worked for the Daily Mail Kieran! Or maybe you should create your own publication and call it the Daily Male?
  • Kieran - absolutely brilliant!!!

I didn't know you were there watching it all happen! Lol

:D

Red Brompton S6L
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Sorry, you have the OP sliding into a crowd of builders and don't finish on a classic Brokeback moment? What a wasted opportunity! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

Sorry, you have the OP sliding into a crowd of builders and don't finish on a classic Brokeback moment? What a wasted opportunity! :lol:

My original draft had more scene setting with the g/f from the night before, but I realised I was fantasising too much and edited it out :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Just hope the wife isn't reading all this talk about my 'girlfriend' from last night!

:wink:

Red Brompton S6L
  • bromyG wrote:
    Just hope the wife isn't reading all this talk about my 'girlfriend' from last night!

That was one of the plot options.....

8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • How's that? :D

I reckon if your boss ever googles your name and end up at the forums, you're in for the sack! Hope that's not your real name you're using!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    mossychops wrote:

I reckon if your boss ever googles your name and end up at the forums, you're in for the sack! Hope that's not your real name you're using!
    I know who his boss is. Busy today Mr Burns?

• CiB wrote:
    mossychops wrote:

I know who his boss is. Busy today Mr Burns?

Always am!

That was done offline and only actually took 5 mins to do.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    Rolf F wrote:

My original draft had more scene setting with the g/f from the night before, but I realised I was fantasising too much and edited it out :lol:
    bromyG wrote:
    Just hope the wife isn't reading all this talk about my 'girlfriend' from last night!

8)

Deleted scenes option -> 'Play All'

Please... :D
  • The Ors wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

bromyG wrote:

8)

Deleted scenes option -> 'Play All'

Please... :D

The Director's cut is always the one to go for :)

@Keiran_Burns - very imaginative. I'll be looking out for you in your lycra dinner jacket and trousers at next year's Oscars.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"