LUBRICANTS

nil1121
nil1121 Posts: 71
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

My whole family have decided to get into a bit of light off road biking so i have purchased 5 secondhand bikes :

TREK 4300
SPECIALIZED HARDROCK SPORT
FELT Q650
Dawes Tekarra
SARACEN 24" ALUMINIUM 7005 OXIDE

This is all very new to me and im reading up as much as i can on maintenance but was wondering what lubricants to use on the chain and cables.

are there any other obvious parts i need to lubricate after using the bikes ?

thanks

Comments

• Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    Don't lubricate cables, they shouldn't need it, and if they do then that is telling you to replace the cables. If you oil them then they will get gumed up and stop working again pretty soon after.

Chain lube is a matter of personal preference. I like Finish Line Dry lube at the moment. It's very light, and doesn't pick up dirt at all, but I tend to clean the chain and then re-lube before every ride (chains are expensive). Wet lube will last much longer, but is more prone to picking up dirt and crud.

There are plenty of threads on this topic on here, but like in the endless flat pedals vs. spuds debate, there isn't a correct answer, just personal opinion.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • thanks for the reply.

on one of the bikes a cable has turned a little brown, would that need changing or would a little rock n roll cable magic do the trick ?

thanks
  • Growmac
    Gear or brake cable?
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • I will have to check.

I take it, if its the brake cable it will need replacing but if gear should be ok ?

I think the bike has been sitting in a shed for some time.

thanks
  • Growmac
    Well it indicates it's rusting. If it's a gear cable and the gears work okay then you're fine. If a brake then I'd say yes, they are cheap and easy to change, so I wouldn't risk it.
  • thanks for the advice.

I think alot of the bikes i have bought have been sitting in the shed (thats why people sell them) would a good oil on the chain be all thats needed as long as everything works ? seems like alot of people talk about cleaning chains ? If i need to clean the chains do i just use a degreaser and then lube back up.

thanks
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I use a connecting link in my mtb chains. This makes the chain easy to remove and clean. They are also good to carry on long rides as a quick repair. Maybe something to consider in the future.
    Finish Line is my lube of choice but you'll find its a bit like choosing shampoo.. too much choice :lol:
    Don't use WD40 .. whatever you use make it bike specific.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Clean them lube them ride them and see what needs doing
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • what is a good chain cleaner ? knowing that the chains most probably have not been cleaned for some time ?

thanks
  • Fenwicks FS1 is a good cleaner 1ltr is about £7.
    Can also be watered down to 10:1 and used as a general bike cleaner and mild degreaser for chains
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Liberal wd 40 to thin sticky oil on chain then strong jet was right on the chain between wheel and bottom of frame (stops getting on bearings) then rag to dry and relube strategy away that part is essential or your chain will rust plus a lot cheaper than cleaners out there
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build