Dalby forest - RED or BLACK times

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited September 2011 in MTB general
has anyone timed themselves around the dalby red or black route if so what time?
was going to try it just for a bit of fun see how quickly i could do it in lol
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Remember someone posting this a little while back

http://www.allthegearnoidea.net/challenge.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Including or excluding the 4.7 second tyre change?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jon1993
    i have to say those guys at the top end of that are fast have to have a go to get that 2 hrs, doubt it though haha! and no sorry you have to wheelie or endo and change it on the move XD
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • 6 hours....

With plenty of stopping, talking, eating and drinking, and pretty much going at walking pace up every hill.. :oops:

Would probably have been about 3 1/2 - 4 hours without the constant breaks and playing around at dixons hollow.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • jon1993
    My best atm is 3 hrs ish taking the black detour parts 2 stops for a little drink and one to put the cable back in the back derailler and reset gears as the clamp screw coming undone [/url]
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • About 2 1/2 hours, miss the black bits out though as I'm crap on that stuff. There's also a couple of bits of the red where I'm a big baby (rough steppy steep bermybits). Hopefully after skills session in a couple of weeks (at Dalby) I will get more confident/brave and get a bit faster - before I'm too old and decrepit to get out there!
  • jon1993
    me 2 i just have no fear :D just close the eyes and hope for the best haha. Well with the top link supplied by angry bird the best time so far is 2:07hrs which is fast by any means lol
    i just find my self slowing down on the really rough sections just with the sheer pain in my fingers and arse as i have a ht.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • I'm a HT man too, I just go as fast as poss over them rough bits to get them over with as soon as can. I always start from Visitor centre and find 2nd half of route is faster than 1st and am usually flying by the finish as confidence and adrenalin is flowing.
  • The bloke who got 2 hours 7 was ill for a good 3 days after that :lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    jon1993 wrote:
    i just find my self slowing down on the really rough sections just with the sheer pain in my fingers and ars* as i have a ht.

Why would your arse hurt, attack position much?
  • I've only ever been round the whole thing once (when it was rather wet) but I did time it at 2 hours 34 mins. Not bad I thought, it was at the beginning of summer though and I've eaten a LOT of pies since then.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • jon1993
    Something like that lol Jw but these lads setting 2.07 and 2:05 are they riding HT or FS wondering what's quicker on this route
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • I got a 2:08 last weekend at dalby. All red sections, no black. Was tough. was held up by slower riders that might have cost me 2-3 minutes and I could have gone quicker on the fire road section. That in mind, I want to return to do a sub 2 hour at some point.

Oh, I know a bloke who can do it in 1:37 and another guy who can do TWO laps in under 4 hours....
  • I did my time on a canyon nerve am 7.0. The perfect bike would be a lightweight 100mm full suspension race bike thogh
  • jon1993
    Thats what I thought I found my self slowing down just because of the shaking ect hurts after a while lol
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Briggo wrote:
    jon1993 wrote:
    i just find my self slowing down on the really rough sections just with the sheer pain in my fingers and ars* as i have a ht.

Why would your ars* hurt, attack position much?
    Clenching in fear? Fatigue off standing up on a HT? I very much doubt he's thick enough to be sitting down over rough.
  • We were out about four hours when we did it but I was having major problems with brakes, weather was shocking and the terrain is so abrasive, was pure eating pads; and me mate wasnt feeling the most energetic that day which didnt help with getting round hastily. I think I could probably do it in 2.30 - 3.00 hours.

Definitely going to go back, really enjoyed the trip there in July.