Cycling in Newcastle

MaxwellBygraves
MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
Just moved to Newcastle upon Tyne. Living very close to St James Park.

Can anyone recommend any good training routes? A sort of Richmond Park of the North?

I haven't been out yet because of moving in, but it all seems like busy roads - has anyone got any good routes out into the countryside?

Also any active clubs in my area?
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Just moved to Newcastle upon Tyne. Living very close to St James Park.

Can anyone recommend any good training routes? A sort of Richmond Park of the North?

I haven't been out yet because of moving in, but it all seems like busy roads - has anyone got any good routes out into the countryside?

Also any active clubs in my area?

Dont live in Newcastle myself, but my in laws do, and often take the bike up when we go for the weekend.

I usually head west or north west (cos she lives on the west side of Newcastle) usually out through Stamfordham/Matfen direction, then come back along the military road.

I think most routes out of the toon will be busy, I think the Westgate/West Road is probably your best bet out of town.
  • Plenty of great routes to choose from !!!!

You can head down to the Quayside and then East across to the coast or alternatively head West along the tyne towards Hexham or alternatively and what is popular is to head North towards Ponteland and then into beautiful Northumberland.

Check out the Northern Cyclone routes on their site.

Lots of active clubs in the area (Gosforth RC, Tyneside Vagabonds, Cramlington RC etc)
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!