Machining and Modifying parts

Ghostt
Ghostt Posts: 192
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Had a look on the Forums but couldn't see anything so thought I'd ask: Does anyone machine or modify their own parts?

Might sound a little strange, but if (like me) you're on a budget at the best of times, it seems to make sense to me to modify cheaper components so they're lighter/perform better. For example, has anyone drilled the holes in their rear cassette another mm wider to save a few grams? Or machined out an old pair of cheap but chunky cranks to save a bit of weight without sacrificing too much strength?

Just wondering if their are any custom heroes out there really, I know I've been tempted to experiment on old parts and bikes, so I'm sure someone has!
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

Comments

• lighter parts are made out of different materials to the lightweight expensive parts. Removing material will make the cheaper parts weaker and less material. Not a good idea.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Not a good idea if they could get extra weight of the manifacturers would have. Ligher parts are made of stronger matterials. You can take some weight of butttt nothing that will really make much of a difference. i.e. bottle holder screws (fill with a light film of silicon) take everything of not used. If u can get away with a single cog on your chain set do it and get rid of the gear cables and shifter. Chop any exess seat post off in your frame. file all ends of bolts that extrude out, get rid of length of cable not used from both deraillers. Take caps of both wheels, chop any exess of your steer tube or even turn stem so its pointing up and get rid of more steer tube and spacers. shorten cables as much as possible, by shortening outers and routing right. Other than that dont alter key components it will only end in them breaking easier. hope this helps :)
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most weight is in frame forks tyres wheels and cranks. All pricy bits. Pointless trying to save a gram here and there if those are heavy
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    yeah the drilled rims thing died a few years ago

only really left to works riders who get stuff for free

but I have taken a dremmel to a chain guide as it did not fit, just trimmed down some non structural parts.....
  • Iv made my own tyre sealant at a fraction of the price of the stans stuff and have made my own chain device out of some alclad aluminium i liberated from uni and an old roller, Lightest chain device going i recon and was free.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There's quite a bit of it goes on on Weight Weenies, I'd not do anything that 'matters' like Cranks, you'll know if one snaps! There was a fantastic front mech floating around that the guy had Dremmeled and sand blasted and what not, really nicely done.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I think the only thing I've done on the current bikes was machining down one of the brake caliper bolts in the lathe, but just for frame clearance... I tend to work on the assumption that Shimano aren't muppets, if they could knock significant weight off a cassette without downsides just by making the holes 50% bigger they'd be doing it (frinstance).

I'm kind of of the opinion that most high-end mtb kit is already lacking in margins, some stuff is pretty damn delicate.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Who could actually be arsed to sit and drill the dozens of holes in a cassette out?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools