prescription cycling glasses - recommendations?

noisepolluter
noisepolluter Posts: 64
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Can anyone recommend a modestly priced (sub £100 I suppose) pair of prescription cycling glasses that will keep the wind out, stay on firmly and aren't too outlandishly styled?

Ta :)
Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute

Comments

• Going to struggle to get under £100 and meet all the criteria...

Depends on your prescription too... most of the lower priced ones wont go above 3 - 3.5 or have very flat lenses which wont keep the wind out. Anything with an optical insert, so allowing a good wraparound, is going to be a bit more, mine were £95 without the lenses, so you should be able to get them for around £150 with.

Stop press...seem to gone down in price here: http://www.sportsprescriptionglasses.co ... -p-35.html
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Have you tried contact lenses? You can wear what you like then.

I've worn glasses since I was a kid and changing to contacts a few years ago now was a life changing experience!

Red Brompton S6L
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    bromyG wrote:
    Have you tried contact lenses? You can wear what you like then.

I've worn glasses since I was a kid and changing to contacts a few years ago now was a life changing experience!

And the needn't cost the earth

Daysoft

OK they aren't Accuvue comfortable, but they aren't uncomfortable

Speak to your optician to see whether you can wear them, it's not until you find out how many people wear them that you realise what you've been missing out on.

You only see the odd person having trouble with them, you don't see the thousands that aren't :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Contact lenses are ok outdoors but totally useless indoors for me. My eyes dry out and the edges of the lenses start to fuzz around the edge. I'll stick with the specs I think.

Not a bad price for those sunnies mind, may have to think about a pair for myself :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • I've used optilabs (v good) but have recently switched to contacts just for riding. It's great - can use ordinary sunnies with dark, clear, yellow.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36737
  • bromyG wrote:
    Have you tried contact lenses? You can wear what you like then.

I do have lenses - in fact I have a fair old stockpile of lenses-by-post I've built up because I'm too lazy/disorganised to put them in in the morning.

Using them would definitely open up (and cheapen) the options, you're right.

I fear however I may be slightly prone to the same trouble as NGale - eyes going all cornflakey sat in the office in front of a screen all day.

How long are you supposed to keep lenses in for, as a maximum? Could give it a go, I suppose, and just make sure I drink plenty of water and/or have some of those drops handy.

Thanks all for the links however - will definitely check out the prescription options too.
    Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
    Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    I use optilabs with photochromic lenses, saves having various lenses and can be worn summer - ho ho - or winter.

downside is that styles aren't in the oakley class but neither are the prices.
  • eyes going all cornflakey sat in the office in front of a screen all day

Just wear them on the bike. I aim to go out 3 times a week; so I wear them for between 90 minutes and 4 hours occasionally. And sometime I don't get out for a week, so I don't wear them for quite a while and then do a long ride again.

That's all fine.

Just wear them on the bike. I aim to go out 3 times a week; so I wear them for between 90 minutes and 4 hours occasionally. And sometime I don't get out for a week, so I don't wear them for quite a while and then do a long ride again.

That's all fine.
  • Yes I agree with contacts. Looked on and off during the year for options for not wearing my glasses when cycling - prescription lenses, inserts, laser or contacts - decided on contacts after a while and had a 5 pair free trial

I won't say it was an easy start - there is a knack to getting them in and out - takes practice - but having moved wished I had done eariler. Don't wear them everyday - mostly for cycling but will move to wear them more often during the week, but to do this I will need some glasses to correct back for reading etc - the prescription process for contacts is different to glasses and you can always take the glasses off for close work if you are short sighted like me. Once there in I wear them all day - only really feel them after 12 hours or so

Would recommend