Time for the Knackers Yard?

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
I took my Genesis day 01 (now 5 years old) in for a pre winter check and was amazed when I was told that the repair bill could be up to £300...it needed everything from chains to cassettes to cranks...it was knackered...ah those hard winters! So I need a winter replacement something bullitt proof! preferably with drops...would a Kenesis tk2 fit the bill? would it see me through lots of winters as well as being a reliable training bike (to supplement my running)...or can you suggest other alternatives?

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    might be worth spending the 300 nicker mate.gonna cost you that for the frame only tk2. getting a bullet proof bike on a sensible budget will be very interesting.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    How much of that work can you do yourself?

It's not very hard, and if you've been using it for 5 years you can save a packet by doing the work yourself. Repair the Genesis.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • change chain and cassete together first. the bits and the tools will cost less than £80, and you have the tools for the future. next would be the crank/bottom bracket. agian a goood one for less than £50 easily available online. gives you the chance to get it sorted week by week
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Definitely do the work yourself if you can. Shop around online for deals on tools and parts, then search youtube or Parktools for 'how to' vids.

As also mentioned above, it will allow you to sort out repairs over a couple of paydays and spread the cost to suit. I'd be surprised if you need to spend half that amount to get it sorted.
  • £300 - that's a lotta money.

Buy online and learn to do it yourself. If unsure about what to buy, check the bike's original spec and replace with the same.

Honestly, I reckon you could get way with less than £150 - tools and parts.

And you're bike will be like new.

Troublr with new bikes is that you'll not be happy as it is and will spend even more customising it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    trevtherev wrote:
    would it see me through lots of winters as well as being a reliable training bike (to supplement my running)...or can you suggest other alternatives?

No bike will see you through lots of winters without proper maintenance. Fix the old bike!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Why is it a surprise that parts have worn out? Any mechanical device where there are moving parts will wear out, from a swiss watch to battleship.
    Regardless of maintenance, unless you cover it in bubblewrap and don't ride it, parts will need to be replaced occasionally, even if you only use it in good weather.
    Obviously bad weather accelerates the process, for example on my MTB race bike I can get through a multiple chains, cassettes, etc in a year. In a recent very wet race, a brand new set of brake pads lasted 40 miles, so image what it's doing to the drivetrain.

I would suggest that for a winter bike an Alfine equiped bike might be more suitable, have a look at the on-one Pompetamine http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETV ... ine-versa-
  • I recently found a locally run maintenance session, access to tool and knowledge all you pay for is the parts.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    I recently found a locally run maintenance session, access to tool and knowledge all you pay for is the parts.

- Jon

Evans also run this type of course for free (I think)