Commuting peleton

Twostage
Twostage Posts: 987
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
I was wondering this morning whilst biking in to work if there were enough of us to form a peleton whilst commuting in (or out). We'd need some kind of way of organising ourselves by town and general route in (or out). We could then meet at a specified spot(s) and peleton away. We'd be faster/more efficient and if nothing else would be able to annoy a fairly large number of motorists.
By the way if this is possible don't arrange it for tomorrow around newcastle as I'm taking my car in and I don't want a load of bl@@dy cyclists getting in my way.

Comments

• Well I'm in Kingston Park and work by the Tyne Theatre. Usually head in around 8ish via Fawdon/Gosforth/Town Moor/RVI or through Lemington and up the Scotswood or tyne cyclepath
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I ride in/out regularly with a guy from work who lives up my road. Is 2 a peloton?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mouth wrote:
    I ride in/out regularly with a guy from work who lives up my road. Is 2 a peloton?

Two is a breakaway :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Twostage wrote:
    I was wondering this morning whilst biking in to work if there were enough of us to form a peloton whilst commuting in (or out). We'd need some kind of way of organising ourselves by town and general route in (or out). We could then meet at a specified spot(s) and peloton away. We'd be faster/more efficient and if nothing else would be able to annoy a fairly large number of motorists.
    By the way if this is possible don't arrange it for tomorrow around newcastle as I'm taking my car in and I don't want a load of bl@@dy cyclists getting in my way.
    bluehelmet wrote:
    Well I'm in Kingston Park and work by the Tyne Theatre. Usually head in around 8ish via Fawdon/Gosforth/Town Moor/RVI or through Lemington and up the Scotswood or tyne cyclepath
    In-Bound - Converge at B&Q roundabout ~8:30ish?

Out Bound - Scotswood Road heading west, converge at the Arena/College roundabout ~5:45pm see you there?

@Bluehelmet: do you ride a Sirrus?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    NE Critical Mass?
  • There were a few bikes there that time this morning but I was the only one on the road so I doubt it was anything to do with this thread.

Anyone up for the outbound?

CM: feel free to join in, any day, not just last Friday of the month.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • In-Bound - Converge at B&Q roundabout ~8:30ish?

Out Bound - Scotswood Road heading west, converge at the Arena/College roundabout ~5:45pm see you there?

@Bluehelmet: do you ride a Sirrus?

Nah, my usual steed is my old '93 Kona Cindercone that I've had the frame stripped and powdercoated a metallic green so it's got no decals on. Modified for road use of course. Camelbak with yellow/orange hump cover, black helmet (to confuse you!). Might be able to make it tonight but work's getting a tad hectic today so don't hang around if I'm not there...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    You want to try New Kings Road in London, often like a peloton down there
  • I'll be on my bike tomorrow (and rest of week) so I'll check my gps tracks to see what time I need to set off to get to B&Q by 8:30.
    I'm on a self sprayed black/red/white stripe road bike.
  • Joelsim wrote:

600 odd mile commute?

Think I'll pass on that...
  • Two's not really enough, any more takers?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    bluehelmet wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

600 odd mile commute?

Think I'll pass on that...

Lightweight!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Joelsim wrote:

Its also quite probably the worst place in London to draft someone!
  • I'll be there in the morning.
  • Anyone heading from Blyth towards town. Not bothered about a peleton just someone to do all the work while i draft hung over some mornings.
  • Shh, that's my cunning plan.
  • I didn't get out of work until quarter too. PT bit this morning so I had to fix it again to get home.

Anyway, I joined Scotswood road at Scotswood bridge and there were enough cyclists who seemed keen, not just the usual nodders. So this idea might have legs..

Same times same places Tomorrow?

p.s. I'm the one n mostly black on a silver rigid Giant.
  • Twostage wrote:
    I'll be on my bike tomorrow (and rest of week) so I'll check my gps tracks to see what time I need to set off to get to B&Q by 8:30.
    I'm on a self sprayed black/red/white stripe road bike.
    Takes me about an hour to get there - 7:30 start.
  • That went well, fancy making it regular? If I didn't slow you down too much.
  • Could do, where do you guys actually come from? I can meet you anywhere along the A6085 Lemington Road all the way up through Newburn and over the A69 and up to the junction of Ponteland Rd / Stamfordham Rd. Well, on days when I don't need to get to work early anyway, then I go the quick way over the moor.

I usually go up the cyclepath just after the B&Q island as I've had too many close calls at the filter lane just after the next one although this morning wasn't too bad.

Twostage (I'm crap with names and have forgotten them already): this is where I got my frame powdercoated:

http://www.bettablast.co.uk/bettablast/home.html
  • OK, so we didn't have every cyclist in the North East but we did at least form a group :D

Shame we only have a short run of common route so didn't have much time to chat but overall I think it is worth keeping up. Maybe go deliberately slow ?

Will aim for same time/place tomorrow.
  • bluehelmet wrote:
    Could do, where do you guys actually come from? I can meet you anywhere along the A6085 Lemington Road all the way up through Newburn and over the A69 and up to the junction of Ponteland Rd / Stamfordham Rd. Well, on days when I don't need to get to work early anyway, then I go the quick way over the moor.

I usually go up the cyclepath just after the B&Q island as I've had too many close calls at the filter lane just after the next one although this morning wasn't too bad.

Twostage (I'm crap with names and have forgotten them already): this is where I got my frame powdercoated:

http://www.bettablast.co.uk/bettablast/home.html
    I come in from Stocksfield way. I used to come along the bike path between Wylam and Newburn but it was rattling my bike (and me) to bits so I've switched to sticking to the roads on the south of the river. I could go back to that route for mornings when we could meet up and see you at the Newburn bridge lights. I'd normally hop onto the bike path also.
    Jed by the way.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

And one is a lone breakaway, courageously riding away from the slimy Spaniard on a sweltering day in the Alps (in my head when I ride home).
  • I do Lemington to Teams, usually peel off right over the bridge. Taking Scotswood road added a mile but doesn't add much time. I could join at the ASDA. When there's a group filtering should be easier, it doesn't really phase me but we could take the Hadrian's Way tomorrow.

Managed to fall into a three on the way back too. Thanks to the two guys in front for the tow btw. If only this were more organised, Scotswood Road has great potential for SCR.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    El Gordo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

And one is a lone breakaway, courageously riding away from the slimy Spaniard on a sweltering day in the Alps (in my head when I ride home).

Trust me, at our speeds it really isn't a breakaway but more an attempt at the Lantern Rouge. The way home is even worse - 8 hours driving a bus really drops the cadence.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Twostage wrote:
    OK, so we didn't have every cyclist in the North East but we did at least form a group :D

Shame we only have a short run of common route so didn't have much time to chat but overall I think it is worth keeping up. Maybe go deliberately slow ?

Will aim for same time/place tomorrow.
    I'll wait ~8:30 same place. We could do with more, maybe we'd form a bigger group if we went on Hadrian's Way and evangelised at anyone we passed.
  • Sorry guys - hectic day yesterday and had to come in early today. :(

Will be there on Monday though. Jed, do you want to meet at the island at the bottom of Walbottle Road (just after KB Cycles) at about 8:20?

It'd be good to keep it up, especially on those headwind days...
  • bluehelmet wrote:
    Sorry guys - hectic day yesterday and had to come in early today. :(

Will be there on Monday though. Jed, do you want to meet at the island at the bottom of Walbottle Road (just after KB Cycles) at about 8:20?

I had to sort something at home so was a late starter (and I got held up at the level crossing at Blaydon by two trains).
    Should be OK for 8:20. I'll PM contact details for the future.
  • Twostage wrote:
    bluehelmet wrote:

I had to sort something at home so was a late starter (and I got held up at the level crossing at Blaydon by two trains).
    Should be OK for 8:20. I'll PM contact details for the future.
    Blue/Init, contact details PM'd this lunchtime but they are sitting in my outbox. I assume they go automatically at some point.
  • bluehelmet wrote:

Was at B&Q, waited a bit, figured it wasn't on. If I head out ~8:20 timing should be OK to meet around ASDA and to go a little slower.