Weight of crap > weight of bike

noisepolluter
noisepolluter Posts: 64
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
***Herewith an extended treatise on the grindingly obvious***

Having bought a jazzy 20L pannier recently, I'm now cycling round with it usually stuffed to the gunwales. This, combined with the hefty d-lock and slightly lighter cable lock, effectively doubles what I'm lugging around on my quaint little 26" early 90's wheels.

I've made a bit of progress - no longer carrying around half a machinist's workshop (especially after finding out that the dog bone spanner doesn't fit either of the non-quick release (...day release?) wheel bolts so right now there's little point in carrying the rest of the wheel-changing clobber either). This however means a trudge to one of the bikeshops en route if anything goes wrong.

Clothes wise I suppose I can be a bit more strategic about what I take on each journey rather than leave at work (without compromising on hygiene...). I do however see a lot of folks zipping about with the skimpiest little backpacks which must barely contain a pair of socks, let alone shirt and pack lunch etc.

The locks are a puzzler. The lockable bike shed is a good 15 minute round trip from my office, so regardless of the security of just leaving it with the cable lock on while I go and fetch the d-lock (and then doing the process in reverse at the end of the day), this would be a timewasting faff.

I could I suppose leave the d-lock discreetly locked to one of the stands overnight when I go home... although I've seen this elsewhere, no-one seems to do it here for some reason. Maybe no-one else uses a d-lock; I've not really noticed, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without it, especially with a new bike in the offing. I doubt the lock would be forcibly removed overnight by fair means or foul, but for some reason I'd feel a bit strange just leaving it there when I go home. Poor little lock.

What are other folks' strategies to ensure you've got all your essentials but aren't lugging much around?
Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142

[...]I could I suppose leave the d-lock discreetly locked to one of the stands [...]

This. I also leave a cable & lock at the supermarket en route to allow secure pit stops.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    do this at my work too, just take it home for the weekends if I'm out.
    FCN 12
  • In the warmer months I leave clothes at work. If I need to take the car for some reason I take new clothes and take away washing. If it's a completely carless week I take a backpack and do the clothes swap. I've got one of those water bottle tool containers for carrying money/phone etc. Anything else goes in the pockets of my cycling top/jacket.
    In winter I tend to fit the pannier and carry a load of stuff I don't need - spare batteries, spare lights, spare-spare inners, magazines, papers... don't think I've ever taken a spanner that doesn't fit anything but I might add it to the list.
    I leave the d-lock at work. There are probably twice as many d-locks as bikes.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Leaving the lock at work a fair difference. For some reason I only leave my d-lock and not the extra cable lock thing.

Leave as many clothes as possible. I leave trousers and shoes, and even sometimes shirts - I figure I shower when I get into work and just sit down all day, so I can wear the shame shirt at least twice a week.

If you can manage to have a full change of clothes at work (maybe use 1 day to take them in), then you can avoid a rucksack completely. Just get a small saddle-bag - that will take all your tools, phone, money,cards etc (leave wallet at home cos it won't fit). You can get small enough pumps to fit in your pocket, or just attach them to the frame. Sorted :)
  • Alas, too many options, bikes and premutations:
    If I set up my bag with a spare 700c tube, what if I take the mtb tomorrow? Anyone got a spare tube for a 26x1&3/4?

I try to think before I leave what I need and have a 'man-cupboard' of such items: tubes/tools/locks/lights and cycling gloves/base layers/helmets/hats/glasses...
    When I leave I re-pack my bag and when I get home I un-pack as required.

Clothes work with the weather (as does choice of bike) and carrying work clothes depends on the season - no-one wants to work wearing wet clothes.

Tomorrow I'm going indoor climbing after work, so also need to take rock boots/harness/rope along with usual requirements. Work's out as 30 miles with a 12.5 miles commute home at 10pm via streets and dark back roads.
    Saturday I'm out with the Road Club and it'll be a different bike, clothes and contents of bag (read pockets).

So, tailor what you carry to what you need, and when. Don't commute with CO2 cartridges and try to not turn up at work dressed like a Power Ranger!
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Alas, too many options, bikes and premutations:
    If I set up my bag with a spare 700c tube, what if I take the mtb tomorrow? Anyone got a spare tube for a 26x1&3/4?

I've never done it myself but as I understand you can store a spare tube under the seat rails somehow or other.

As for what I carry, when commuting (currently 2.5 miles each way) the d-lock stays at work, carry pump/patches/multi-tool in my work bag. Clothing wise the bottom half stays on due to short distance (shoes/trousers) and I wear a t-shirt/jersey/vest which I replace with a shirt that was folded carefully in the bag. Lights? Don't carry spares but since I have rechargable ones I just make sure they're charged once a week. It's a conscious fact that I can walk the whole distance in 45 mins so don't carry gear to sort out a major mechanical (chain, tyre, cable).

Leisure ride at the weekend is a different kettle of fish. Multi tool, pump, cash/cards, phone, bicycle AA membership card (the Mrs's phone number).
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I leave a little combi lock at work but that's because it's gated and secure.

I leave 3 pairs shoes, a suit jacket, towel, jeans, spare top at work and swap over when I drive in which is usually once a week or so.

In my rucksack I keep a spare tube, lights, repair kit and plastic tyre levers, small pump, waterproof.

Works well, bag always light.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    If the lock is nickable overnight on its own why would you risk leaving your bike attached to it for hours on end?

Leave the lock overnight. It'll be fine.
    Peter
  • Thanks all for your replies.

Sounds like leaving the lock at work during the week is a good first step.

A couple of 'supplies run' non-bike days a month also sounds sensible, as I still use the *spit* train *spit* once or twice a fortnight.

Might leave off getting a rack put on the new bike straight away actually - see if I can force myself to work with a small backpack.
  • Wear as little as possible and keep it on during the work day after drying off. Wont work if you have a dress code.

Leave a spare set of clothes at work just in case the weather catches you out.

Bring a bag load of food for the week on Monday.

Have a minimal tool kit, chain tool, multi-tool, pump, tyre levers and a bag of neoprene patches.

If you have more than one set of wet gear leave one set at home and one at work to save carrying it each trip.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I count myself as very fortunate. First I have very secure parking at work in a 24hr manned, underground carpark with security card access and full CCTV. 2nd work has a gym that is < 2 mins walk from the office, and they supply hot showers and towels. 3rd I have somewhere at work that I can leave suits and shirts. So on Monday I ride in with a backpack full of clean socks and boxers, Friday I ride home with a ruck sack of used socks and boxers.

All the other days I have my tools in an old water bottle and a little saddle back for wallet and phone. So much better than a hot and sweaty back pack or heavy pannier each day.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Leave lock at work.
    Lots of clothes at work too. I have a stash of shirts I bring in and use, then batch wash n iron
    Lots of food left at work too
    Some tools left at work. Track pump, PR kit, tube,oil, few spanners, multi tool.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Quite simple for me:

- My bike is parked somewhere secure where I work, I keep a lock here.
    - I have two pairs of trousers and a weeks worth of shirts that I keep at work, and have drycleaned over the weekend
    - On my commute I just have a camelback with a pump, a spare innertube and some other essentials. For a long while I didn't use the camelback, but have to walk from Embankment to Clapham to get the train home once because of a puncture wised me up :P
  • 7 Shirts kept permanently at the office. On a Friday lunch 5 go to the launderette for a wash and iron for £6. Collect them on Monday lunch.
    3 pairs of trousers on rotation 1 pair usually at the dry cleaners. Socks and pants can fit in the pocket of a jersey.
    Works for me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Today being the exception, all I take is:

Shirt (pre-ironed and shop folded)
    Suit trousers (jacket goes on the jacket stand in office)
    Pants + Socks
    Mini multi tool
    Spare tube (if I have one, currently dont)
    Shoes (sometimes go in my locker)
    Towel + shower gel. Don't even bother with deo any more.

We have a locked basement garage where I leave my D-Lock. I would NOT leave my lock on public lock-ups as it gives thieves a chance to practise on them at night, then nick your bike during the day.

Very envious of Wrath Rob. Currently in the waiting list for a locker at work, but I think I might have quit but the time I get one....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have to drive to work occasionally so take in shirts and trousers to change into, I carry a multi-tool, 2 scabs and a tube, a powerlink and one inner chain link (the chain on the bike uses 2 powerlinks) so I can fix a broken chain, I also carry a mini pump and a waterproof jacket. on top of that I carry my lunch and my laptop in a slim neoprene envelope case all in lightweight panniers on an ally rack.

Locks, I keep a heavy motorbike chain and cable at work (its in a secure stairwell anyway) where it gets chained to the building (steel frame) and another at homes....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wow.

Left the d-lock (and trews) at work today - just doing that meant I was 2mph faster up the hills.

Tomorrow I'm trying it without the rack and pannier. And trimming my fingernails. And having a good turnout just before setting off.

New bike will be several pounds lighter!
  • It's the shoes that kill me. What ones to wear that day at work... summer's not so bad since sandals are fairly lightweight. But I'm seriously thinking about a rack and pannier just so I can carry knee-length boots... and while I can (and do) leave some shoes/boots at work, there's a limit!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    ^^^^^^^ Get another locker? :)
  • I'm v lucky all my work kit is at work right down to socks and pants, I have a weekend drive in or can moderately divert the Mrs if needs be once a week to drop a weeks worth of clean stuff off. I carry a tool & first aid kit along with my lunch in a saddle bag and have room for any little extras or a bit if shopping. The only hefty weight is a decent magnum lock.
  • No locker... and my stuff already migrates under the desk.

It doesn't help that I've also got one of electronic surfboards under there too

10115_large.jpg