Chain slipping advice please

silencesound
silencesound Posts: 75
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello there first post so go easy on me . Looking some advice about a new chain slipping . The old chain had just reached the .75 wear indicator so i decided to change it as to save my cassette from wear. The bike has only covered 400 miles from new witch were all offroad. So can anyone offer any explanation ?
ps The new chain was measured big cog front and back plus one link .
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Chain size, Big ring front, big ring rear without going through the rear mech and add 2 links.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Could it be that you use, say, 3 sprockets on the rear more than the others, so these are more worn than the rest of the cassette?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I had read it was big cog to big cog +1 link . And not sure if i use some gears more than others but i wouldn't think so. Seems to be slipping in most cogs the more pressure you apply.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use big/big plus 1 on HT and 2 on FS, but I don't think it makes that much difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Is it the right speed chain?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • yes chain correct size (9 speed) Should a cassette not last longer than this ?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    is the chainring knackered?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    edited September 2011
    The chain and cassette tend to wear down together at the same rate. A new chain and old cassette are not going to get along together very well causing small problems such as slip and hesitant gear changing. I always replace both chain and cassette together and never have any problems such as "slipping"

Replace your cassette, if your chain is worn out then so is your cassette.
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • Don't thinkit could be the chain ring,it had a new chainset fitted about 10 or 12 weeks ago .
  • I've been having issues for a couple of weeks, jumping/slipping gears and general bad shifting

Indexed the gears then when I go out on the trail and apply some pressure - same thing

Replaced the rear mech cable today (€1.50 and about an hour of my time). Adjusted dérailleur, indexed gears, feels like a new bike :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8