Fork Change

matt@theforce
matt@theforce Posts: 647
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking to upgrade SWMBO's bike (2010 Evans Pinnacle) over the winter for me to use as I've now sold my Kona Frame, as a result I will be left with some Suntour Forks that I would like to donate to my sister for her bike as her forks are rusted solid.

Both sets of forks use a different headset though and I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit the Suntours to her bike.

Similar spec to SWMBO's bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/jarrah-one-mountain-bike-ec027470

My sisters Bike is a Raleigh Revanna and is in good condition apart from the fork/front brake which I will be changing at the same time.
IMG-20110710-00026.jpg

Is it simply remove the old Fork/Headset and buy a new styled headset?

Many Thanks
Matthew[/url]

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably not.
    Forks will be 1 1/8 " steerer, Raleigh is probably 1" threaded so they won't fit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Probably not.
    Forks will be 1 1/8 " steerer, Raleigh is probably 1" threaded so they won't fit.

Thanks, that's the terminology I couldn't think of.

Oh well, will have a look for some 1" threaded forks for her

Matthew

edit.. having a look now, can anyone recommend somewhere to buy one?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Try ebay
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are always some on ebay 'BANKRUPT' always has them, don't expect much in the way of quality for a 1" threaded though...also make sure you get the right length steerer!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Just check the steerer length carefully. You need to get the right length, plus enough threaded bit on the top. You can't just cut them down like threadless or you lose the thread, if that makes sense.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    You could have a look in the classifieds on www.retrobike.co.uk
    Often some good quality older stuff cheap, especially if you ask nicely and mention doing nice things for your sister (careful not to say doing nice things to your sister).
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks,

I've had a look at some of the 'Bankrupt' stock and whilst its cheap enough I think she would prefer to keep what she has.

I'll keep my eyes open on Retrobike and see what comes along. She's not in a rush, I was hoping that a 1 1/8th fork would fit as I have a spare one.

Matthew
  • cooldad
    Some bikes do have threaded 1 1/8" but I don't thinks that is. You could measure it to see.
    Agree with that Bankrupt stock - load of rubbish - the reason it didn't sell in the first place.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BANKRUPT does occasionaly have good stuff, I'm running an LX front mech, brand new for £7 that came from them.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.