Coast to Coast in a day

jackmcd
jackmcd Posts: 185
Quite fancy doing a coast to coast ride next year. Looked at a few of the routes online and they didnt really tempt - some set up to be as easy adn short as possible, some for a few days touring, sections of off road etc...

Looking at the map I figure it would be possible to start in Ravenglass, head over Wrynose and Harnott passes, then carry on east. Would be around 130-140 miles I reckon.

Anyone know of an established and enjoyable route that does that?

Havent quite figured the logistics of starting and finishing in different places - public transport to the start in cycling gear may be the only option.

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I was thinking along similar lines and worked out a route from Scarborough to Blackpool which was about 150 miles. The prevailing winds would be better the other way round but I'd prefer to do the bulk of the climbing in the first half of the ride and have an easy run to the finish. The beauty of my route is that it is easy to travel by train to both ends of it.

If I have time later, I'll stick it up on Bikely for you to take a look at.
  • jackmcd
    jackmcd Posts: 185
    Thanks - I'll have a look. Your option includes better options for trains and post ride eating and drinking...

I had similar thinking. Wouldnt want to tackle Wrynose and Hardnott after 120 miles but after a disastrous attempt up them this year in hail and gales, would like to try again so beginning of route definitely.

edit: to improve spelling...
  • thecm
    thecm Posts: 71
    If you're looking for a hilly route, after Hardknott and Wrynose head up The Struggle and over Kirkstone around Ullswater, Penrith, Hartside (A686) to Alston then the A689 down Weardale with Kilhope on the way then pick anywhere between Hartlepool and Sunderland for the finish.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've done lancaster to flamborough head, which was 150. Over the Trough of Bowland then Long Preston, Grassington, Pateley Bridge, then I can't remember where but it was a good route.

I have it somewhere if you're interested... pm me.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer