bike down Aldwych

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
saw a bike under a bus at Aldwych this morning - the bit between Drury Lane and Kingsway.

Its a dangerous stretch of road there with taxis wildly turning and buses careering over to the various busstops by the Waldorf and lots of nodders. Best bet is to stay as if going to the city and then go up Kingsway once past all the madness.

Does anyone have any news?

Comments

• saw a bike under a bus at Aldwych this morning - the bit between Drury Lane and Kingsway.

Its a dangerous stretch of road there with taxis wildly turning and buses careering over to the various busstops by the Waldorf and lots of nodders. Best bet is to stay as if going to the city and then go up Kingsway once past all the madness.

It really is a mad little moment isn't it? I have no idea why particularly, but you have to switch on all your super-commuter skills for ten seconds as you run through it.

My thoughts are with the downed rider; hope he/she's ok.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Stay safe out there - worrying number of similar threads at the moment :cry:
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    That must have happened just after I went through. I put myself on the far right of the Waterloo bridge lane and it is a lot less stressful. One of the problems is having that taxi rank in the middle there which allows vehicles to switch lanes too easily.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sewinman wrote:
    That must have happened just after I went through. I put myself on the far right of the Waterloo bridge lane and it is a lot less stressful. One of the problems is having that taxi rank in the middle there which allows vehicles to switch lanes too easily.

That part and the run towards the Royal Courts of Justice is unpleasant at best and downright dangerous at worst. No clear lanes, bus stops and four possible options for cars etc. I don't take that route at all anymore.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I was walking past there yesterday and the traffic around that section outside the Waldorf is crazy - not being from London the traffic is kind of intimidating anyway, but I watched as Taxis switched lanes with no signals, buses suddenly pulled into the curb, cyclists avoiding/weaving through the traffic... I don't envy anyone who has to commute through that. Absolutely mental.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    still sealed off on the left side there. Just been to gym and the entrance is in the cordoned section. Having to enter via the Waldorf.
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... d-lorry.do

Sounds horrible, I hope they're both ok.
  • Yeah, that's a wake up call for me. I don't need to use that little section of road. I only do so because Drury Lane has a smoother road surface than the road prior to it. Time to go back to taking an earlier left.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    "Abi Sultana, 27, who was working at a café opposite the scene, said: "The bus was pulling into the stop and the guy tried to overtake from the inside."

Sounds as if the bus cut in front of the cyclist which wouldn't be surprising to any of us.

Vauxhall accident is horrific and thoughts go out to the fella.

Problem is there are cycle lanes all around Vauxhall to separate us from the traffic. I never ever used them for the 9 years I rode through there.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    "Abi Sultana, 27, who was working at a café opposite the scene, said: "The bus was pulling into the stop and the guy tried to overtake from the inside."

Sounds as if the bus cut in front of the cyclist which wouldn't be surprising to any of us.

Or the cyclist undertook?

Sounds like a really horrible incident though, and GWS to the cyclist.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Or the cyclist undertook?

Sounds like a really horrible incident though, and GWS to the cyclist.

Who knows what really happened, but it actually is pretty hard to undertake there even if you want to. if they were both coming off Waterloo bridge then the cyclist will probably have begun ahead of the bus (meaning it will have overtaken and then moved in to the bus stop), if not, the bus will almost certainly have swept across from the right hand joining lane where it should have given way to traffic already coming from The Strand. I can see how it must be hard for bus drivers to spot cyclists coming from the left, and most of us all will have had to take evasive action because of such situations, but in this case I would be really surprised if the cyclist was doing something he/she was not perfectly entitled to do.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm just going off the witness said.

Of course, it could be that what the witness thought was the cyclist trying to undertake, was actually a bus half overtaking then hitting the brakes and pulling in.

Like I said, it sounded nasty and it's not nice to hear of two serious incidents on the same day, stay safe out there folks.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    those buses coming off the bridge have a death wish, I get cut up there every other day both ways.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.