People who ride no hands - not big, not clever.

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
It's not big and it's not clever.

It really gets on my wick actually.

On a largely empty stretch of road fine.

On busy Highstreet with a thick line of traffic to your right not so fine. In fact potentially dangerous actually.

Why? I've been riding a bike since I was 5. On some bikes at times I can do no hands near indefinitely. There is however the odd occasion when my bike may swerve (usually to the drive side/right). A gust of wind, a pot hole, a pedestrian or my equilibrium may be the cause. Sure a quick grab of the bars and everything is cool. What I cannot account for are the reactions of those around me, sudden unpredictable movements - especially on a densely populated commute - is largely dangerous maybe to yourself, those around you or both.

And no it's not just when I'm on the bike riding behind a person riding the entire length of a road with 'no hands' that is a worry. I was in my car the other day behind some cyclist doing the exact same thing. And I hated it just the same.

Well that's my thoughts. Riding no hands is potentially too dangerous to do safely in traffic on a commute in rush hour.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    edited September 2011
    focusbig.jpg

Sometimes I ride with no hands, for safety reasons. As long as I'm wearing a helmet, I don't see the harm in it.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Rants thread over there >>>>>>>>>>
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    But what if you RLJ?

Seriously, of course it's bloody stupid to 'no hands' for more than a second (eg to zip up your top) on a busy commute route.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Just because you can't do it.... :wink:

:lol:
    I'll do it on an empty stretch of road to peel a banana or something like that. Wouldn't do it with cars behind me, or when passing anyone else.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Whoa there DDD! Relax! It'll all be fine; I promise. Here's a picture of Olly Murs to chear you up; he's ever such a nice young man.

SNF27BIZOLL-280_1133068a.jpg
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Better sell the unicycle then.
  • I only have a single pannier on my bike so there's no way I *can* go none-handed. I'd be off within a few milli-seconds
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I do it when I'm fed up with being wheelsucked.

Sit up, hand off, stretch arms.

They usually take the hint.

It's also good to do when it's cold and you've forgotten your gloves.

Hands. In. Pockets.

Yes.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    will3 wrote:
    Better sell the unicycle then.

Ah, you may have a point there. Still, not really bought as a fast commuter TBH :lol:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Agree with DDD for once.

F*cking moronic behavior.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Whats the issue, need to free my hands to update my facebook status!

Ebankemnt is super buzy lolz etc.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited September 2011
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Agree with DDD for once.

F*cking moronic behavior.

What is? Agreeing with DDD? Bit harsh :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I could ride none handed for miles as a yoof! I would make a point of going as far as I could , up and down curbs, round corners etc. I can still do it on my mtb, I can't do it on my road bike and I have no intentions of practising enough to allow me to do it. As with everything, there is a time and a place. simples.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I did nearly collect a bloke last night riding through Bushy Park no hands. He was weaving quite a lot so I shouted "coming through" and he moved to the side and spat across my bows. I considered kicking his front wheel out from under him for that.
  • Keith1983 wrote:
    I could ride none handed for miles as a yoof! I would make a point of going as far as I could , up and down curbs, round corners etc. I can still do it on my mtb, I can't do it on my road bike and I have no intentions of practising enough to allow me to do it. As with everything, there is a time and a place. simples.

Oh, Lord.

You said "simples"

You're going to die now.... horribly. The ranting mob shall tear your bloodied carcass asunder

The last time someone said "simples" it ran to 10 pages of vituperation.

God, you may as well have said you eat babies as you red light jump on a hybrid while not wearing a helmet.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I used to, when alot younger, sit right back on my saddle, lean forward and then swing my arms back behind my back, joining them to form (what I thought was) a kind of aerodynamic spoiler on fast descents doing up to 50mph.

It was absolutely thrilling but I dont have the cojones to do it anymore.
  • rick_chasey
    I used to, when alot younger, sit right back on my saddle, lean forward and then swing my arms back behind my back, joining them to form (what I thought was) a kind of aerodynamic spoiler on fast descents doing up to 50mph.

It was absolutely thrilling but I dont have the cojones to do it anymore.

Hah, amazing.

I do that, but to stretch my back out.
  • Keith1983 wrote:
    I could ride none handed for miles as a yoof! I would make a point of going as far as I could , up and down curbs, round corners etc. I can still do it on my mtb, I can't do it on my road bike and I have no intentions of practising enough to allow me to do it. As with everything, there is a time and a place. simples.

Oh, Lord.

You said "simples"

You're going to die now.... horribly. The ranting mob shall tear your bloodied carcass asunder

The last time someone said "simples" it ran to 10 pages of vituperation.

God, you may as well have said you eat babies as you red light jump on a hybrid while not wearing a helmet.

You mean you don't eat babies whilst RLJ'ing on a hybrid, without a helmet? I will now ofcourse be genuinely disappointed in anything less than 11 pages of ranting.

And just so everyone knows, it's Kieran's fault that I even have a hybrid!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

Hands. In. Pockets.

Yes.

but you're tiny and offer no protection surely?

There's a chap on the hipster highway that rides no handed facing the wrong way an awful lot. He's a tit
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Isn't no-hands simply an admission that one's bars are too low/too forward?
  • Can't do it on my fixed - i dunno why not.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Having moaned about the bloke last night I did start the "idiot on a bike" thread and that bloke is actually very good. Take a look at the clips on YouTube of him. No hands down a ridiculous mountain pass using his foot against the back wheel to slow down. Whilst he's clearly insane it's remarkable. The video of the clib whilst playing instruments seems to have gone though.
    Just search "Giuliano Calore" That is quite big and clever actually.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Only do it when my back cannot take the bend anymore - usually on the last 50 yards home......Also makes me loook big, like an angry cat.....
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    iPete wrote:
    Whats the issue, need to free my hands to update my facebook status!

Ebankemnt is super buzy lolz etc.

:lol:
  • rick_chasey
    Clever Pun wrote:

Hands. In. Pockets.

Yes.

but you're tiny and offer no protection surely?

It's either that or my buns of steel are such that they're like moths to a flame.