Ive reached a milestone in my cycling "career"

2»

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The only way I lose weight is to stop eating chocolate and 'top up' sandwiches in the evenings, no junk food and minimal booze. Then it falls off. Otherwise - nothing changes. Even doing 200 miles a week.
    Sorry but that is rubbish. If you still stuff your face with too much non junk food you wont loose any weight.
  • oh sorry suzyb - just speaking from, y'know, personal umm, err experiences.

christ. I'm scared. Never had a full internet "RUBBISH" thrown at me.

*comfort eats*
  • suzyb
    oh sorry suzyb - just speaking from, y'know, personal umm, err experiences.
    As am I.

And you should be scared. I don't throw a full internet "RUBBISH" at any old post.
  • maybe we have different ideas about what 'junk food' is.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    suzyb wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    thats been since March this year...i still havent lost a pound of weight :(
    I'm not the only one.

I haven't lost an ounce either. :cry:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • suzyb
    maybe we have different ideas about what 'junk food' is.
    It would seem we do.

btw if you had said cut down on instead of stop I would have agreed with you. Lost weight before by eating less of the same stuff (and not exercising) but I was hungry most of the time :(

I was hoping eating the same but using more of it through exercise would have had the same effect. Sadly not.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Not changed the cal amount of what I have eaten for 12 months now dropped about 28lbs was almost 196lbs now 168lb. Did up my riding though was doing 4 days of training a week still do that but all so ride to work 5 days a week witch added another 130miles on.

If your not feeling full after eating or still hungry shortly after I think you need to get more fiber into your diet. If I don't put veg with my pasta i feel like eating alot sooner than with. With out trying to turn this into a diet thread you need to start usuing something like a plate tracker for a month or two just to make you realise how many extra cals that glass of wine was and the sneaky dairy milk with afternoon coffee (and how many cals are in none black coffee) Thats what i eneded up doing and it really made the big differance. It's not a diet it's a life style change.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Looking round the internet, it looks as if the calorific requirements for my commute are roughly equivalent to about 30% of the the RDA for a sedentary adult male.

This is significant.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I have to say I have noticed a slight weight drop from cycling, I started cycling seriously about a year ago around the time I started my second year at uni. Weighed about 147lb, and since cycling its dropped off to 140lb. However some of that is due to loss of upper body muscle as I can now no longer be bothered to do weights. I definately lost some weight from the waist though, went down a hole on my belt, if I cut out junk food and booze I can make that weight droped back to about 134lbs if necessary so I think what I eat will have more of an effect upon my weight. However, that being said it doesn't half feel guilt free if a eat a large dominoes pizza to myself if I know ive burned off about 2500 calories on a ride earlier that day :P
  • suzyb
    Torvid wrote:
    If your not feeling full after eating or still hungry shortly after I think you need to get more fiber into your diet. If I don't put veg with my pasta i feel like eating alot sooner than with. With out trying to turn this into a diet thread you need to start usuing something like a plate tracker for a month or two just to make you realise how many extra cals that glass of wine was and the sneaky dairy milk with afternoon coffee (and how many cals are in none black coffee) Thats what i eneded up doing and it really made the big differance. It's not a diet it's a life style change.
    Think I'll try that actually. Is there any you could recomend?
  • suzy - apps like MyFitnessPal or MyNetDiary work on most smartphones and have lots of meals pre-programmed in or you can create your own. You can also usually track your exercise through them too.

I do agree with Torvid though - it can be what you eat that's important. Eating something that is calorie-dense isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as it's also satiating (e.g avocados or nuts -packed full of calories but also full of good fat that makes you feel full). Protein is also good for filling you up so is a good thing to add to pasta - in fact, most of us would be better off with slightly less pasta and slightly more protein/veg on the plate.

I can't eat baked potatoes at lunchtime since they must spike my blood sugar levels. I seriously want to take a nap about an hour later and then within two hours I'm hungry again. If I have rice or bread, I'm fine til evening.

Soup is excellent for filling you up and isn't generally too high in calories unless you have an uber-creamy one or chow down on half a loaf with it. The other meal I love in the evening is a omelette with peppers, ham and cheese.
  • I was 76kg at the start of the year amd now seem to have stalled at 68.2kg after nearly 3800miles... 2" off my waist, 1" on my thighs and legs look toned... upper body is no different tho I've put a little muscle on arms probably from manhandling 15kg of commuter bike over potholed roads...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    mudcow007 wrote:
    I'm just a fat bast*rd.

Thanks.

I hate you all.

maybe its a tricross thing?

Nope.

Crisps and no willpower....

I believe the term for which you are searching is 'famine resistant'.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Torvid
    suzyb wrote:
    Think I'll try that actually. Is there any you could recomend?

As much as i hate to recogmend a livestrong thing i found their my plate to work really well. http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/

Just to bulk out my food i tend to keep a few packs of different forzen veg in the freezer and add them. Like Applespider said it's about getting a lasting full feeling, i also tend to cook double the amount i need and eat the second helping as lunch the day after so i don't feel like i'm eating the same thing the next day.

[/url]
  • Torvid
    Also forgot to mention, get a couple of herbie tea flavours you like for work, when you feel hungry between meals drink one of them, it will put off the feeling for a while and help you make it to lunch / tea.
  • suzyb
    Cheers guys. Will have a look at those sites and see how I get on.
  • I' haven't lost any weight over the past 4 years but I have lost 3 inched round the waist - I guess things have just shifted around a bit 8)
  • DesWeller wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    I'm just a fat bast*rd.

Thanks.

I hate you all.

maybe its a tricross thing?

Nope.

Crisps and no willpower....

I believe the term for which you are searching is 'famine resistant'.

:D:D:D:D - thanks for that - my tea just came down my nose