Eroica anyone?

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
I am planning to do the all 205 Km... anyone from the Forum is going down to Tuscany for the Eroica?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• I looked at it but the bike rules are too restrctive. What would I do with a bike with clips and straps for the other 364 days of the year?
    I have a commuter.
    What do I do with non-lycra cycling clothing the other 364 days of the year?
    Although, don't be fooled by this one, you'll see many guys hiding their F1 Milles under their plus 4s.
    I know this because I ' ran into this ride' when I was on holiday 2/3 years ago and while it looked cool it seemed more like a fancy dress party with a bike ride thrown in.

Do you need any recommendations on a good moustache wax brand? :-)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • I ve my old steel pre 1985 race bike in the shed, just need to figure out how to get low enough gearing to get up those 20% dirt tracks :)
    Just going through some plans for next yr... Maratona or Eroica ?

Fancy dress? dont most cyclists look that way whatever they wear????
  • I did it twice already...
    Rules are restrictive only on the bike, clothing is "recommneded" of course I am riding modern bibshorts... where do I find a deer skin? Rapha and similar make merino jerseys which are both comfortable and acceptable retro replicas. I happen to have a pair of old cycling shoes

As for the bike... I have a 1984 race bike, I ride SPD pedals all year round and fit the vintage Super Record pedals for the Eroica

It's a beautiful ride, one of the best rides you can do on a bicycle... of course you can go there any time of the year and do it for free on a carbon bike as it's permanently signed... but for 20 Euros, the atmosphere, 6 feeding stations with local food and wine and a real meal at the end... there is no equal
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi Ugo,

This might be a dumb question but can you explain the "external brake wires" thing? My bike is from the 80's and has downtube shifters so most of it complies but just not sure what they mean about the brakes. Does it mean that no internal routing is permitted, in which case I am ok assuming that wrapping under bar tape and using cable outers where approp is ok.

Not planning on this year, btw, more a case of sneaking it in with a wedding anniversary over the next few years :)
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Hi Ugo,

This might be a dumb question but can you explain the "external brake wires" thing? My bike is from the 80's and has downtube shifters so most of it complies but just not sure what they mean about the brakes. Does it mean that no internal routing is permitted, in which case I am ok assuming that wrapping under bar tape and using cable outers where approp is ok.

Not planning on this year, btw, more a case of sneaking it in with a wedding anniversary over the next few years :)

It means the cables have to come out of the brake hoods, so no routing under the bar tape.... basically they set 1987 as the line that separates vintage from modern... cables under the tape came after 1987...
    That said, you'll get away with a Chorus 8 speed groupset of 1991, as long as you have shifters on the tube and cables exposed. Pedals with toe clips and straps, of course
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Thanks Ugo, looks like I will have to get the masking out to cover up my 9sp Chorus with 7900 d/t shifters :wink:

For anyone else interested, here is the official website:

http://www.eroica-ciclismo.it/english/home.asp#

Here are the rules:

http://www.eroica-ciclismo.it/documents ... to_eng.pdf

...and here is a lovely post-ride blog to whet your appetite:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39243.0
  • yes i will be there, see you in the square on sat. 1st oct.
  • It just means exposed or non-aero brake cables. Look at, I don't know, say Lemond's 1985 Gitane and you'll see what I mean.

The area is stunning and I'd do the ride at the drop of a hat, but I don't have (nor want) the bike for it.

I didn't know the retro clothing was optional, my reading of the rules (in italian which isn't my native tonuge mind) didn't reveal the optional part.

When I saw it a couple years back I thought it looked like a group of those re-creationists you see dressing up to do the Battle of Hastings or the US civil but on bikes - which I guess it kind of is.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • It just means exposed or non-aero brake cables. Look at, I don't know, say Lemond's 1985 Gitane and you'll see what I mean.

The area is stunning and I'd do the ride at the drop of a hat, but I don't have (nor want) the bike for it.

I didn't know the retro clothing was optional, my reading of the rules (in italian which isn't my native tonuge mind) didn't reveal the optional part.

When I saw it a couple years back I thought it looked like a group of those re-creationists you see dressing up to do the Battle of Hastings or the US civil but on bikes - which I guess it kind of is.

There is an element of that of course and there is the real challenge of a 205 Km ride with 3.6Km of climbing and nearly 100Km of white roads... average speed 12-13 mph, when I would normally average 16 on a similar terrain (but on tarmac)... so that's 10-11 hours on the saddle.
    In terms of effort it compares with the Marmotte or the FWC and certainly exceeds the Maratona dle Dolomites, the Dragon Ride or the average Etape du Tour
    The 135 Km is not easy either... 2.5 Km of climbing and 60+ Km of white roads... again nearly 7 hours on the saddle... like a hilly sportive in the UK
  • doleboy wrote:
    yes i will be there, see you in the square on sat. 1st oct.

Are you doing the all 205 Km? I'm having second thoughts now... yesterday I took a day off and did 100 miles with 1.5K of climbing on my vintage... not sure I want to spend more than 7 hours on the saddle... haven't done many long rides this year.
  • One word

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I would love to do this in the next few years, as I've spent a good bit of time round there but never (yet) ridden there.

I have a mid-80's 531 Raleigh that would be perfect. Its currently converted to a single speed but still has potential to go back to its original spec, so I'm 99% sure it would be suitable.

Maybe 2013 for me...
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rode this last year and regretfully didn't get to go this year because it filled up so quickly. It's one of the best days I've spent on a bike and you have to keep to the spirit of the event in terms of the bike and kit, otherwise just ride it any other day of the year. The 205km is a long, tough day, particularly on vintage gearing and wearing old shoes with clips and straps. The climb up to Montelcino as well as the 'bumps' after Asciano are not to be under-estimated. The beautiful scenery, riding empty dirt roads and finally the candle-lit climb up to Brolio were fantastic memories.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Rode this last year and regretfully didn't get to go this year because it filled up so quickly. It's one of the best days I've spent on a bike and you have to keep to the spirit of the event in terms of the bike and kit, otherwise just ride it any other day of the year. The 205km is a long, tough day, particularly on vintage gearing and wearing old shoes with clips and straps. The climb up to Montelcino as well as the 'bumps' after Asciano are not to be under-estimated. The beautiful scenery, riding empty dirt roads and finally the candle-lit climb up to Brolio were fantastic memories.

And the "bumps" before Asciano and the "Bump" back up to Brolio the other way (for the 135 Km only, I reckon).
    The medio course didn't take in Montalcino, but the 11 miles stretch of white road after Asciano and up Monte Sante Marie... boy is tough! One hour and fifteen minutes to do 11 miles says it all !
    What strikes me about the Eroica is that it gets better year by year... I did it in 2005 and 2006 and now is even better than then, with the candle lit climb to Brolio, the food which has improved on what was already an incredible standard. The village is now one of the largest markets for vintage and second hand bicycles and parts...
    Only let down, race numbers used to be printed on fabric, now they're down to normal paper, shame as they used to be a nice souvenir