Commuting to work and BO

Dannyboy95
Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Hello there in the near future I will be commuting to work most likely by bike. I am wondering how can I keep as cool as possible but be as warm as possible during the colder weather?, as I don't want to turn up to work stinking if BO. I don't really have the option of wearing all this fancy lycra as I don't have the time and my not have the facilities to change in to appropriate work clothes. Many thanks Dan.
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

Comments

• pedal very s....l.....o....w...l....y

seriously, cycling uses energy so unless you plan to pedal very gently you are going to generate heat and moisture. Look for easily removable layers and breathable fabrics... a goretex outer jacket will stop wind and rain, plus goretex over-trousers. But if you wear cotton underneath its going to absorb some moisture, there's no avoiding it...

A lot depends on how far you are riding and over what terrain...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Shower, plenty of deordorant, merino clothing, change of top at work.
  • You wont turn up stinking of BO, it develops as the day goes on, getting dry quick is the key. BO can be dealt with very effectively by taking a shower each morning and using an allegedly 24hr anti-perspirant 2-3 times a day as needed. As OB said, avoid cotton, if you have to keep it on it feels horrible for ages and gives the bugs that make the smells time to breed as it takes ages to dry.

I find a combination of technical t-shirts and well chosen shorts works 80% of the year. For the winter add a fleece top and either out doorsy or sports trousers. Cycle specific gear can be expensive, has a certain look (skin tight lycra, reflecto manor captain day-glo) and isn't really suitable for all day wear at work. Often you can find something almost the same for a fair chunk less after browsing cycle clothing then exploring elsewhere. If your budget isn't too tight look at MTB clothing (bagies) rather than road gear, it tends to be more casual looking.

How long is your commute likely to be?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Erm thank you everyone for your replies and in reply to initialized maybe half an hour or less.

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    whores bath when you get to work, there is a sink in the bathroom

soap and water boy, unless you sweat like a rapist at work.........

but plastering right guard on top of the sweat will only give you BO
  • That's not a commute - that's a trip to the shops :lol:
    But as said - you should invest in a half-decent base layer. It will draw the sweat away from your body.

And if you can't have a shower, buy baby wipes and use them to 'wash' yourself. Then change into a new top.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Shower before you ride.
    Wear a merino base layer, BO-forming bacteria dont survive well on wool fibres. T-shirt style base layers can be worn all day at work.
    Use waterproofs only in the rain, if it is dry and you are cold, use a wind-resistant shell, they are far more breathable and comfortable.
    Fit some mudguards to keep your clothes clean and dry.
    Dont overdress, dont ride too hard. Use the last minute or 2 as a cool-down by rolling along.
    Dont rush from a bike ride into a heated building.
    If you need more cooling down, splash some cold water on your head.
  • Definitely a merino top.

To test mine when I first got it I wore it for a week of riding in and didnt wash it and it still didnt smell. Its awesome stuff merino although it doesnt wick as well as synthetic.
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • Not to be rude but what on earth is Estampida talking about?

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
  • Dannyboy95 wrote:
    Not to be rude but what on earth is Estampida talking about?

I think he's taking part in this EU scientific experiment into mixing beer with vodka before breakfast,
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Dannyboy95 wrote:

I think he means a damp rag and good rub down in the gents should get you by if you don't have showers at work.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Torvid wrote:
    Dannyboy95 wrote:

I think he means a damp rag and good rub down in the gents should get you by if you don't have showers at work.

in Our household a 'whores bath' is generally refered to as an 'Australian Shower'

Quick splash and plenty of deodarant
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    or a glasgow bath if in Edinburgh
    FCN 12
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Torvid wrote:
    Dannyboy95 wrote:

in Our household a 'whores bath' is generally refered to as an 'Australian Shower'

Quick splash and plenty of deodarant

These colourful phrases! I just call it erm, "a wash"...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Or a "strip-down wash". I doubt in the cold weather you'll be travelling fast enough to get really sweaty and stinky. If you shower before you set off you should not have any probs. Unless you are the sort who gets paranoid.
    For the washing I recommend a fully enclosed loo like the disabled one as you might get odd looks from colleagues as you defrost your gentleman's area in a sink full of warm water. So I've been told.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Cycle at a speed that feels comfortable and chances are you will hardly develop a sweat. THink of it as a difference between running and walking - you don't usually sweat when you walk, do you? No BO than if you keep it cool. Don't worry about clothing, just keep in mind, you will get warmer when you're cycling, so you might want to peel a layer occasionally. THat's what I do anyways.
  • I do a similar commute - 4 miles, flat, 30 min. Don't race, take it easy. I get changed in the toilet cubicle into work clothes I have carried in in the pannier. great way to start the day.
  • I do a similar commute - 4 miles, flat, 30 min. Don't race, take it easy. I get changed in the toilet cubicle into work clothes I have carried in in the pannier. great way to start the day.

I do 4.65 miles in 22 min with backpack each way (On way home increase that to 6 miles twice a week). Wear Aldi soft shell jacket, Decathlon cycle jersey and shorts. I have a light sweat layer by time reach work some time just warm (I do leave out at 6:20 am). I make sure the last mile is for cool down and use wipes to clean up. Nothing hard in that! And whats so wrong with Lycra? I love wearing the stuff! I look cool in it - feel that way too - I am a over the hill 40 so is the mid-life crisis?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Strip wash is the answer, I do 12 miles in to the office each morning, done at a brisk pace (I try to average 20mph in the summer, 17mph+ in the winter as I use it as my training for TT's and road racing) - shower before leaving home, cool down and have a cuppa when I get to work whilst catching up on e-mails, then go and wash and change. AFAIK I don't smell - certainly no one has commented.

As a consideration, you may wish to take your own towel / flannel / washcloth, as I suspect others in the office would rather that your gentleman potatoes weren't dried on the same towel as they use to dry their hands!
  • quick so apols if said before. if you're in a mega rush - baby wipes on the sweaty parts and decent dedourant.

merino base layer, thin layers to build up cold resistence. You'll find many softshells are plenty good enough for surviving pretty much all showers and light rain. And layers are infinitely more adjustable and breathable than a single big coat. for weather changes across the day

You should only need a real waterproof heavy coat very few times a year. its barely worth it - a boil in the bag pac-a-mac and a winning smile if you're 5 minutes late cleaning down should do you as extras for 99% of the time.