Pre or Post winter service

jimh_123
jimh_123 Posts: 66
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Thinking of leaving my full sus in for a full service. But should i do this before or after the winter? I'll still be using it throughout the wet and muddy winter, so is it better to get it serviced after the winter and get all the grime and dirt out and parts working in good condition ready for the "dry" spring/summer season or get it working properly cleaned/lubbed and adjusted so as to protect it from the winter months?
Cant afford 2 full services.

Comments

• I'd give it a pre and a post.

Give it good clean and just make sure its all lubed and working properly.... if anything needs replacing then replace it!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    DIY as an ongoing thing. It's not a car. Maintain as required.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I usually do try and keep it clean and lubed. But the service I was going to get would do the stuff that I'm not confident with, ie. Pivot bearings, bottom bracket and hubs etc. Everything is working at the mo, but thought it would be a good idea to get the areas I mentioned serviced
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd agree with both too. I service mine even more frequently!
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    id learn to do it your self if i was you, There not hard to do and its hard to say how often. I rebuild everything on my bike without the majourity of 'the right tools' depending on conditions ect can result in a bearing strip depending on what your riding on/through which can get seriously expensive to summer where it can be left for the whole season. lots of vidio tutorials on youtube you cant go wrong.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    just did mine last week, for the crc ruthin round, tbh just need to have a look at the headset bearings and topup the grease in the hubs and the entire bike is done

( i just keep packing the XT hubs with grease, a nitemare to take apart)
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Thanks for all the advice. Totally agree with learning to service it myself, so much that ive enrolled myself into a maintenance course. Hopefully this will give me the confidence to tackle some of the bigger chores. At the moment im great at taking things apart, its just when i put them back together that the trouble begins!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah I love taking things to bits, learnt the hard way not to do it to everything I buy..
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I excel at taking things to bits, I'm just not very good at putting them back together either... or too lazy to do it, one of the two... time to service the forks but daren't do it until I wake up in the right mood or else they'll end up lying around in pieces for a month or so and I'll use the other bike until I can be bothered to finish the job.