Bugs,flies,moths ,greenfly,etc .

bagpusscp
bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
All here must have noticed all numbers are well down this year.
1/The very cold winter caused the drop in numbers :?: .
2/ Something else is a factor :?: .
3/We cannot survive without flies on our teeth :!:

More here
http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 46951.html
bagpuss

Comments

• 7 years out of date that article
  • I've kidnapped quite a few, but I didnt think anyone would notice. I'll start putting them back tomorrow.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • I haven't noticed a drop in numbers. But then, I haven't been counting them. Should I have been?
  • I have definitely seen an explosion of crabs. But then, I had a very active summer (and I mean VERY)
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I'm new to cycling - are you supposed to leave the front of your helmet until you can't see it for the squashed flies before cleaning it, just to prove that you cycle faster than the flies can get out of the way?
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Look it's simple. There are more cyclists therefore more bugs etc. are being eaten / swallowed, therefore there are less of them.

Honestly people. :wink:
  • just assumed it's down to 2 very harsh winters. I've probably seen less than 10 wasps all summer, which is odd now I type it, that I can actually put a figure on how few...mind you it's been a rubbish summer so maybe the wasps didn't fancy coming out either.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    It could be suicide. I was out for a spin last night and an enormous green dragonfly decided to try to fly through my front wheel. It sounded like rustling paper as it was mangled by the spokes. :(

If you're pining for wasps we've got millions of the b@stards here - every BBQ this summer has been subject to aerial bombardment by the little buzzing feckers. :evil:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Try moths then,normally if you leave lights on and doors and windows open at night, your house will be invaded.This year nowt,not a moth,bu££er all.
    bagpuss
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Haven't noticed since I have been confined to my turbo trainer for the last three months whilst waiting for my broken collar bone to heal. I found out yesterday that it has :D and so now will hopefully start to get my weekly fly-intake.

The greenflies of today just don't taste as good as those from twenty years ago. Is this a result of pollution control?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!