when to change a tyre?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Strange question... But I'm a cheapskate lol!

Basically the mountain King on my Boardman is almost dead, it has near to no tread in the middle but the cornering knobs are ok.

I imagine that its going to be a bit rubbish on the trails, now that its wet so should I cut mt losses and change it, but keep it for next summer?

Comments

• Change it, and then just bin it.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Keep it and use it next summer, you could always just chuck it on the rear and put a new one up front (assuming it's from the front, if it's on the rear then put it away in the shed and keep it forever just in case).
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    I changed mine when it exploded :lol:

The front is still fitted, but i want to swap it out soon for the reasons you give, it has nothing in the middle and the sides are still looking new, FWIW the MK2 Mountain King tyres (black chilli compound) seam a LOT more grippy, i fitted one to the rear of mine, much better.
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Already got a tyre lined up... a Kenda Dred Tred DTC that I've had lying around for ages.

Should be alright, gets some reasonable reviews for wet/muddy stuff so I'll see how it goes!

And yeah its the rear... completely trashed the soft centre knobs!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick it on Ebay as slightly used.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    cut it up to make an emergency tyre patch in case of a big tear, then throw the rest away.

I hated the Conti MK.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I've got a tyre collecting fetish I think, Find it extremely difficult to throw tyres away (much to her dismay)

I'd tend to keep and bring out in the summer when the trails are dry.. I remember Kel riding a bald HR on the back, swore by it..

But saying that it may be a disposable income' question - I'm uber cheap so get my 'new' tyres from PS that are 2nd hand to start with :lol: pre scrubbed and ready to go!
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...