My first Audax in about 10 years - Ride review

rls
rls Posts: 44
I've just taken part in the Crwydrad Y Cestyll (I can't pronounce it either) from Gorseinon, near Swansea, and had a brilliant time. I'd forgotten how much fun an Audax can be, despite having a small field and being low key.

RobJohn, the organiser, was friendly and welcoming. He was also out on the course taking pictures of the riders and making sure that everyone was ok. The route sheet was excellently written and guided me around unfamiliar roads without a single wrong turn. I think that having controls in local Cafe's is brilliant and although I didn't spend any money in the first (The attractive Ferry Cabin in Ferryside) due to being a bit cold and wet, I was super hungry by the time that I got to the second (the awesome Carreg Cennen Castle) and couldn't resist a slice of cake and a chat.

It turns out that, like all good ride organisers, RobJohn has a sadistic side and had saved the best (worst?) climbs for last. These last few hills really tested my legs on my twin ringed Storck, but I got there in the end. The sun then had the good grace to shine on me at the top of the last climb to keep me warm on the final descent to the finish. It was a great ending to a fine ride on some beautiful roads that I would never have tried otherwise. 70 miles (110km) with 7200 ft of climbing in 6 hours, including stops.

I think that everyone should give an Audax a try and shouldn't worry about the route sheet in the slightest. A little bit of preperation time in advance (I've detailed mine below) makes things very easy. If you think that you might be too fast for the maximum speed then you can always get to the controls early and spend the time having a cuppa and piece of cake, or do what I did and choose a very hilly event to slow you down a bit!

These events are cheap, this one cost me £5 to enter and great fun if you want to ride somewhere new. You don't even need to take out a day license for Audax if you are a member of British Cycling.

My prep/equipment consisted of:
1) Tear the relevant page out of my road atlas to carry in case I get off route.
2) Print the route out in a small but readable font, then cut it up and laminate it.
3) Repeat step 2 and put it in a different pocket in case original is lost.
4) Carry mini tool, spare tube, stick on patches, small pump and 3 CO2 canisters (bare minimum)
5) 2 bottles with Maxim Carb drink.
6) 3 chocolate Chip Clif bars
7) Pertex jacket and leg warmers
8) Cateye Rapid 3 rear light (one rider wanted to know what it was as it was so visible in the overcast conditions)

Some riders had little clip board type objects on their handlebars to hold the route, others used handlebar bags with clear pockets in the top. I was too innefficient to do this and could be seen on many descents with my route clamped firmly between my teeth!

I know this is a very favourable review, however I would like to add that I am not involved in the organisation of any Audax events and I'm not even a member of Audax so this is totally unbiased and based on the great day that I had.

Cheers
RichLS

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited September 2011
    Hi there rls, I also did the ride and loved it. However, for me it was somewhat of an adventure (apols to anyone who has already read this on yacf):

Got to the start with about 15 minutes to spare but managed to set off last due to last minute tyre pressure probs. Then was knocked out and in the side of the verge after an RTA with a van before we even got to the first control (which was fantastic, btw). Saddle badly scufffed and rear mech scuppered but at least half the gears were OK (thankfully the bottom one was fine). Veered off route near Trapp to take a sandwich with my dad at his house just past Manordeilo only to puncture on the way back to Cerreg Cennen. Fell off my bike (again) on a cattle grid going up Bewys and then my friend and I somehow ended up in the ladies changing room at the Leisure centre and, whilst my friend was coming out of the shower, he managed to give some poor lady somewhat of a shock.

So, all in all I did 145k...and it was great. Lovely ride (speeding white vans aside) and great company. I think the dreadful weather contributed to the event rather than detracted from it.

My footnote is that I think my lovely 9sp Chorus rear mech is OK but the frame chainstay/integrated hanger is bent and needs a visit to Mercian bikes this week :(

I was the one in a muddy/oily Peugot top and a Mercian with noisy gears, btw
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Oh, here's the maptraps many of us use (very handy btw)