Driving tests

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
So how many tests did you take before you passed? Is this in any way a reflection on how good a driver you are? Are there quotas the test agencies fill before failing everyone else? Should the number of tests affect how much insurance you pay, the more tests you take, the higher your insurance?

Discuss...

:D

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I passed on my second attempt. I was failed first time because the tester said I didn't use my mirror enough whilst doing the 'Reversing around a 90degree corner' manoeuvre. My instructor had told me before the test that that was something that they were particularly hot on at the time, so I made sure that I made it obvious that I was using the mirror. He failed me on that single point.

I guess that they have quotas to fill.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I passed on the second occasion, and would argue my performance on the first test was superior to that of my second. In my first test I was asked to do a hill start on a blind bend! Typically, as I set off a car came around the corner and had to slow as I was committed to the manoeuvre. My instructor could not believe I had been stopped where I had due to the location of the corner.

My instructor also told me she had overheard an examiner discussing a test he was about to take with a colleague, and that said instructor said he was going to have to fail the pupil! I truly hope she had misheard or taken the conversation out of context.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    First attempt.

Beatmaker - take it you didn't learn in Sheffield where every start is a hill start :P (just not always uphill, obviously)
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    Sixth attempt :( That was 28 years ago and i've still got an unblemished licence.
  • I passed third time.
    First test I failed for driving across a zebra crossing when there was a woman with blonde, long hair, white blouse, black knee length skirt and black high heels waiting to cross. Though I never saw her!!!!
    Second time I failed for not being courteous to other road users when I did my "three point turn". I did it in a deserted road and didn't see another car, motorbike, pedestrian, cyclist, cat, dog, etc. Definite quota thing.
    Took my motorbike test last year and failed my Module 1 test for going through the speed trap at 49kph when you need to pass it at 50kph+. The rules have now been changed to permit a percentage discrepancy now. But on my Module 2 test I was convinced that I had failed because I thought I'd made a multitude of mistakes, but passed.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Fifteen lessons, first attempt.

I saw a piece in a newspaper a few years ago about a woman (never!) who eventually passed after twenty five (25) attempts. Now I believe everyone deserves an equal chance in life, but if it takes this many attempts to pass, then the chances are you're not really good enough and you got lucky on that particular day.

Twenty-fucking-five. I ask ya!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Second attempt in the car, Mod 1 bike first time pass but second time for Mod 2, even though I thought my first attempt was better than my second. No reflection on how good a persons driving is, although I do think some that pass first time think it means they're a better driver.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • First attempt on both bike and car.

And Martin, you can't be failed for failing to stop at a pelican crossing. It is your right to decide whether to stop safely (traffic etc.) or whether to carry straight through it!*

*Subject to it not actually having people on it, obviously!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    passed 2nd attempt.

Failed the first one due to being stopped in left hand lane, then when getting going, used the space in the lane to get up to speed to filter into the right. Was told fail, because I should have pulled out at 5 mph, then got up to speed in the lane.

Instructor told me what I did was safer.

Second attempt literally lasted 10 minutes. Didn't do any of the manouvers, just drove round the corner and was told by the examiner....ok, just take us back to the test centre. You have passed.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Failed the first one, couldn't afford enough lessons and was nowhere near ready for it.

Failed the second, sat it in the town where I was attending uni and went to a district I'd never been before. Went round a corner and through a set of red crossing lights hidden behind a tree. Instructor said it was a known "gotcha" locally.

Finally passed third time or to quote my father, "about bloody time".

If they want to make you fail then they can. My wife was asked to reverse around a corner which was square (not round at all) and had no kerb. Her instructor complained about this once before and had all his pupils fail for a three week period as punishment. Another girl passed despite almost causing a crash whilst turning onto the A9.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Car - Third time. First one I went through a filter light and she failed me "for poor observation and not being cautious enough" even though the junction was 'closed' and I was the only car in sight. Second one a bus entered the mini roundabout I was negotiating, which apparently was my fault and I should have stopped.

Taxi test - Passed first time, though never actually became a taxi driver.

Bus - Third time. First one was fair enough. Didn't take a proper assessment as I entered a bus stop and clipped the wing mirror on the bus stop sign pole thingymebob. Second one was harsh braking. Examiner said to me afterwards had I been taking HGV and not PSV he;'d have passed me but it was due to passenger comfort. Since he's a delegated examiner and works for us, I can't believe he'd have a quota to fail at £120 a test from the company coffers.

As for first-timers being better drivers? Utter horse crap. To post an example, when I learnt to drive the bus there were 11 of us in my 'training school'. In the 7 months since we all passed and have been in service I am the only one left who has yet to have a collision.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Passed 2nd time, but with 10 years between my tests.

I had lessons when I was a teenager, failed my test due to a lengthy list of mistakes (just constantly made small mistakes and racked up a huge number of minors), and couldn't afford to carry on with lessons. Then took lessons again a couple of years ago, and found everything seemed much easier with the hindsight of 5 years of cycling on the roads and passed first time. Examiner said I planned ahead well, and drove like someone with a lot of experience.

Still not a particularly confident driver, and avoid driving as much as possible. Far prefer to cycle 8)
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Fourth time pass.

First time I deserved to fail. Second time borderline IMO.

Third time I was convinced I'd passed at the end, but was failed for pulling out onto a road with oncoming traffic - 1 car about 300m away (which didn't need to take any sort of avoiding action). My instructor was in the back and was as amazed as I was. We decided the examiner just didn't like me, but maybe quota stuff as above. Thought about lodging a complaint but even if you win all you get is your entry fee back so not worth the hassle.

Passed with flying colours 2 weeks later at a different test centre.

a serious case of small cogs